Roger Federer Accepts ALS Ice Bucket Challenge from Anna Wintour, Gavin Rossdale, and Ana Ivanovic
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 24, 2014 2:19 PM EST
On Thursday, Roger Federer accepted the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge after he was nominated by Anna Wintour, Gavin Rossdale and Ana Ivanovic.
Roger Federer of Switzerland blows kisses after being defeated by Novak Djokovic of Serbia in their men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett
The 17-time Grand Slam winner uploaded a video in his Facebook page where he is seen performing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
Apart from accepting the challenge, the world no. 3 also tried to raise awareness about ALS, not to mention that he put emphasis on donating for the ALS organisation.
"ALS is a tragic disease, and I hope that the social media attention from the Ice Bucket Challenge continues to bring more awareness and donation dollars to curing ALS. Funny videos are entertaining, and can be important to raise awareness, but a more important measure of impact is donating: http://www.alsa.org/" Federer said on Facebook.
The Swiss Maestro also passed the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge to his friends.
Thus far, a number of celebrities already accepted and performed the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and tennis players who took the challenge were Ana Ivanovic, Novak Djokovic, Tommy Haas, Milos Raonic, Grigor Dimitrov, Victoria Azarenka and Caroline Wozniacki.
The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge was made popular by Pete Frates, a former Boston College baseball player, who is also suffering with the disease since 2012.
According to the ALS association website, as of August 21, they have already received $53 million donations compared to $2.2 million donations last year.
The challenged has helped raise awareness as evidenced by 739, 275 new donors this year.
Meanwhile, Roger Federer is seeded number 2 at the upcoming US Open 2014 after Rafael Nadal's withdrawal due to injury. It has been two years since the 33-year-old won a Grand Slam title but thanks to a favourable draw, Federer was placed on the softer side of the bracket.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop