Roger Federer Accepts ALS Ice Bucket Challenge from Anna Wintour, Gavin Rossdale, and Ana Ivanovic
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 24, 2014 2:19 PM EST
On Thursday, Roger Federer accepted the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge after he was nominated by Anna Wintour, Gavin Rossdale and Ana Ivanovic.
Roger Federer of Switzerland blows kisses after being defeated by Novak Djokovic of Serbia in their men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett
The 17-time Grand Slam winner uploaded a video in his Facebook page where he is seen performing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
Apart from accepting the challenge, the world no. 3 also tried to raise awareness about ALS, not to mention that he put emphasis on donating for the ALS organisation.
"ALS is a tragic disease, and I hope that the social media attention from the Ice Bucket Challenge continues to bring more awareness and donation dollars to curing ALS. Funny videos are entertaining, and can be important to raise awareness, but a more important measure of impact is donating: http://www.alsa.org/" Federer said on Facebook.
The Swiss Maestro also passed the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge to his friends.
Thus far, a number of celebrities already accepted and performed the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and tennis players who took the challenge were Ana Ivanovic, Novak Djokovic, Tommy Haas, Milos Raonic, Grigor Dimitrov, Victoria Azarenka and Caroline Wozniacki.
The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge was made popular by Pete Frates, a former Boston College baseball player, who is also suffering with the disease since 2012.
According to the ALS association website, as of August 21, they have already received $53 million donations compared to $2.2 million donations last year.
The challenged has helped raise awareness as evidenced by 739, 275 new donors this year.
Meanwhile, Roger Federer is seeded number 2 at the upcoming US Open 2014 after Rafael Nadal's withdrawal due to injury. It has been two years since the 33-year-old won a Grand Slam title but thanks to a favourable draw, Federer was placed on the softer side of the bracket.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report