Roger Federer Accepts ALS Ice Bucket Challenge from Anna Wintour, Gavin Rossdale, and Ana Ivanovic
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 24, 2014 2:19 PM EST
On Thursday, Roger Federer accepted the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge after he was nominated by Anna Wintour, Gavin Rossdale and Ana Ivanovic.
Roger Federer of Switzerland blows kisses after being defeated by Novak Djokovic of Serbia in their men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett
The 17-time Grand Slam winner uploaded a video in his Facebook page where he is seen performing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
Apart from accepting the challenge, the world no. 3 also tried to raise awareness about ALS, not to mention that he put emphasis on donating for the ALS organisation.
"ALS is a tragic disease, and I hope that the social media attention from the Ice Bucket Challenge continues to bring more awareness and donation dollars to curing ALS. Funny videos are entertaining, and can be important to raise awareness, but a more important measure of impact is donating: http://www.alsa.org/" Federer said on Facebook.
The Swiss Maestro also passed the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge to his friends.
Thus far, a number of celebrities already accepted and performed the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and tennis players who took the challenge were Ana Ivanovic, Novak Djokovic, Tommy Haas, Milos Raonic, Grigor Dimitrov, Victoria Azarenka and Caroline Wozniacki.
The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge was made popular by Pete Frates, a former Boston College baseball player, who is also suffering with the disease since 2012.
According to the ALS association website, as of August 21, they have already received $53 million donations compared to $2.2 million donations last year.
The challenged has helped raise awareness as evidenced by 739, 275 new donors this year.
Meanwhile, Roger Federer is seeded number 2 at the upcoming US Open 2014 after Rafael Nadal's withdrawal due to injury. It has been two years since the 33-year-old won a Grand Slam title but thanks to a favourable draw, Federer was placed on the softer side of the bracket.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories