Roger Federer Accepts ALS Ice Bucket Challenge from Anna Wintour, Gavin Rossdale, and Ana Ivanovic
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 24, 2014 2:19 PM EST
On Thursday, Roger Federer accepted the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge after he was nominated by Anna Wintour, Gavin Rossdale and Ana Ivanovic.
Roger Federer of Switzerland blows kisses after being defeated by Novak Djokovic of Serbia in their men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett
The 17-time Grand Slam winner uploaded a video in his Facebook page where he is seen performing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
Apart from accepting the challenge, the world no. 3 also tried to raise awareness about ALS, not to mention that he put emphasis on donating for the ALS organisation.
"ALS is a tragic disease, and I hope that the social media attention from the Ice Bucket Challenge continues to bring more awareness and donation dollars to curing ALS. Funny videos are entertaining, and can be important to raise awareness, but a more important measure of impact is donating: http://www.alsa.org/" Federer said on Facebook.
The Swiss Maestro also passed the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge to his friends.
Thus far, a number of celebrities already accepted and performed the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and tennis players who took the challenge were Ana Ivanovic, Novak Djokovic, Tommy Haas, Milos Raonic, Grigor Dimitrov, Victoria Azarenka and Caroline Wozniacki.
The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge was made popular by Pete Frates, a former Boston College baseball player, who is also suffering with the disease since 2012.
According to the ALS association website, as of August 21, they have already received $53 million donations compared to $2.2 million donations last year.
The challenged has helped raise awareness as evidenced by 739, 275 new donors this year.
Meanwhile, Roger Federer is seeded number 2 at the upcoming US Open 2014 after Rafael Nadal's withdrawal due to injury. It has been two years since the 33-year-old won a Grand Slam title but thanks to a favourable draw, Federer was placed on the softer side of the bracket.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues