Kevin Love Officially Joins Cleveland Cavaliers, LeBron James
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 24, 2014 2:17 PM EST
Right after the clock turned Aug. 23, the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Minnesota Timberwolves put pen to paper that sent disgruntled superstar Kevin Love to join LeBron James in Ohio.
Cleveland Cavaliers LeBron James stands on the court against the Boston Celtics during the fourth quarter in Game 6 of their NBA Eastern Conference playoff basketball series in Boston, Massachusetts in this file photo taken May 13, 2010. James is going home by signing with the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers, he said in an article in Sports Illustrated on Friday. The signing reunites the Cavaliers with James, who four years ago left the team in a messy divorce to join a star-studded Miami Heat team he led to four consecutive trips to the NBA Finals and two championships.
The swap came after the 30-day moratorium that prohibited the transfer of 2014 number 1 pick Andrew Wiggins was lifted, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports. These are the players and teams that will change uniforms in the blockbuster three-team trade:
Cleveland Cavaliers: Kevin Love
Minnesota Timberwolves: Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennet, Thaddues Young, Trade Exception ($6M)
Philadelphia 76ers: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Alexey Shved, 2015 Miami first round pick.
This is the first time that pundits believe the Timberwolves got fair value for a superstar demanding a trade. This might be both luck and skill as Timberwolves general manager and coach Flip Saunders held out and used patience in waiting for the best deal available. His patience coupled with the professed preference of the best basketball player, LeBron James, to team up with him Olympic buddy Kevin Love made the deal possible.
With the arrival of Kevin Love. this now makes the Cavaliers team loaded in a weak Eastern Conference. The Cavs can parade an ultra-flexible line-up that can spread the floor for James to post-up and pick and roll. The addition of a unique big man who can both shoot lights out from beyond and gallop rebounds like a monster would surely put the Cavs in the championship conversation in the next 5 to 6 years. Not to mention the 2014 all-star game MVP Kyrie Irving who is only 22 years old and you have a scary lineup.
The Minnesota Timberwolves are also rebuilding nicely on the fly with the addition of athletes who can flank the gifted passer, Ricky Rubio. Rubio can now fling alley-oops to new backcourt buddy Wiggins aside from Zach LeVine who registered the highest verticals during the rookie training camp, Bennett, Thaddeus Young and Corey Brewer. They still have two big man stalwarts in Nikola Pekovic and Gourgi Dieng despite the departure of Kevin Love.
The involvement of the Philadelphia 76ers is mostly for salary dumping and bottoming out purposes. They have let go the last ace veteran in Young and are doling out more minutes to youngsters Joel Embid and Nerlens Noel. The 76ers are still expected to hog the bottom of the standings which will again result to a high pick in next year's lottery.
Kevin Love's transfer has long been rumoured to be a done deal and newspaper advertisement of the Timberwolves available Sunday all but confirmed the transfer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced