Spanish Super Cup Result: Atletico Madrid Defeat Real Madrid 2-1 On Aggregate
By Christine Jane Caparras | August 24, 2014 12:34 AM EST
Atletico Mardid has won the 2014 Spanish Super Cup after defeating Real Madrid 2-1 on aggregate at the Vicente Calderon Stadium last night. The Spanish Primera Liga Champions won their first title of the season after ending the second leg of the Super Cup with a score of 1-0. Atlético hosted Real Madrid with an away goal advantage after coming off a 1-1 draw at the first leg played the Bernabeu last Tuesday.
Atletico Madrid's goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer (L), Arda Turan and Koke celebrate at the end of their Champions League semi-final second leg soccer match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge Stadium in London April 30, 2014. Atletico Madrid won the match 3-1 and qualified for the final round.
Diego Simeone's side showed more of their aggressive offence in the second leg than they did in the first leg in which they only scraped past a draw after Real dominated possession the entire match. First leg scorer Raul Garcia was threatening once again but this time it was new signing Mario Mandzukic who was the hero and lone scorer of the match. The Croatian fired the death blow that would seal Real Madrid's fate just after two minutes into the game and the equaliser never came for Real. In the end, the lone goal was enough to hand Atlético what is only their second even Spanish Super Cup.
Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo who was injured in the first leg didn't start and only came in at the second half. He failed to make his presence felt and it was still James Rodriguez who made the most threats towards the Atlético goal. Just after Atlético scored, James made an attempt to equalise only to be denied by Atlético's new number one keeper Moya who proved his worth and earned his spot in front of the Atlético goal to replace Thibault Courtois.
It was a match where the newcomers shined with James having been bought from AS Monaco just after a stellar World Cup performance and Mandzukic came to Atlético from German giants Bayern Munich also in the summer transfer window. The man who set up Mandzukic' goal, Antoine Griezmann is also a new addition to the team having just been signed from Real Sociedad.
Real Madrid's own Croatian star, Luka Modric, failed to make a mark and had the opposite fate as his countryman when he was unceremoniously sent off in stoppage time after a challenge against Cristian Rodriguez earned him a second yellow.
The Spanish Super Cup marks the start of the Spanish Primera Liga season and Atlético have laid down their intentions to win back-to-back titles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists