Demi Lovato Shares Bipolar Disorder Part Of Who She Is, Nothing To Be Ashamed Of
By Annie Dee | August 23, 2014 7:20 PM EST
Demi Lovato has nothing to hide and she's on the mission to share to the world what it means to be a bipolar. While some people think that it is mental condition that they should hide and be ashamed of, Demi does not have any qualms of sharing the topic with the public. In fact, she makes it a point to discuss it openly because she thinks this can help others diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
Singer Demi Lovato serves as grand marshal during the 44th annual Los Angeles Pride parade in West Hollywood, California June 8, 2014.
E! Online reports that as the singer promoted her Clean and Clear Campaign, she also took it as an opportunity to talk about the stigma surrounding bipolar disorder. The singer shared that the success she attained in her music career does not mean she is not facing problems on a regular basis because of this mental condition.
"It's a part of who I am. And you know, whether this campaign is about people having mental illness or not having one at all, I think that everyone can relate. And that covers people who are suffering from mental illnesses or people who are just struggling.... It's important to have people around you that are going to be there for support in times like that. I look up to a lot of people around me, my best friends, family," shared Demi to E! Online.
The star also shared once to Cosmopolitan for Latinas how difficult it is to maintain her health. More than just the treatments and the medications she is receiving, she has to have a lot of control and discipline.
"It's a daily thing. I treat it with medication. Not everybody does that, but for me it works. That's what works for me - medicating, checking in with people, being honest, and being grateful for things," shared the young Latina star.
But Demi is not letting her condition get to her career. She is currently preparing for her upcoming appearance at the MTV VMAs this weekend where she has been nominated for the category of "Best Lyric Video" for her tune "Really Don't Care."
Demi claimed to E! Online that she is really excited about this specific nomination. While unsure if she could win the category, the singer is already very grateful for the nomination.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia