Demi Lovato Shares Bipolar Disorder Part Of Who She Is, Nothing To Be Ashamed Of
By Annie Dee | August 23, 2014 7:20 PM EST
Demi Lovato has nothing to hide and she's on the mission to share to the world what it means to be a bipolar. While some people think that it is mental condition that they should hide and be ashamed of, Demi does not have any qualms of sharing the topic with the public. In fact, she makes it a point to discuss it openly because she thinks this can help others diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
Singer Demi Lovato serves as grand marshal during the 44th annual Los Angeles Pride parade in West Hollywood, California June 8, 2014.
E! Online reports that as the singer promoted her Clean and Clear Campaign, she also took it as an opportunity to talk about the stigma surrounding bipolar disorder. The singer shared that the success she attained in her music career does not mean she is not facing problems on a regular basis because of this mental condition.
"It's a part of who I am. And you know, whether this campaign is about people having mental illness or not having one at all, I think that everyone can relate. And that covers people who are suffering from mental illnesses or people who are just struggling.... It's important to have people around you that are going to be there for support in times like that. I look up to a lot of people around me, my best friends, family," shared Demi to E! Online.
The star also shared once to Cosmopolitan for Latinas how difficult it is to maintain her health. More than just the treatments and the medications she is receiving, she has to have a lot of control and discipline.
"It's a daily thing. I treat it with medication. Not everybody does that, but for me it works. That's what works for me - medicating, checking in with people, being honest, and being grateful for things," shared the young Latina star.
But Demi is not letting her condition get to her career. She is currently preparing for her upcoming appearance at the MTV VMAs this weekend where she has been nominated for the category of "Best Lyric Video" for her tune "Really Don't Care."
Demi claimed to E! Online that she is really excited about this specific nomination. While unsure if she could win the category, the singer is already very grateful for the nomination.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims