Demi Lovato Shares Bipolar Disorder Part Of Who She Is, Nothing To Be Ashamed Of
By Annie Dee | August 23, 2014 7:20 PM EST
Demi Lovato has nothing to hide and she's on the mission to share to the world what it means to be a bipolar. While some people think that it is mental condition that they should hide and be ashamed of, Demi does not have any qualms of sharing the topic with the public. In fact, she makes it a point to discuss it openly because she thinks this can help others diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
Singer Demi Lovato serves as grand marshal during the 44th annual Los Angeles Pride parade in West Hollywood, California June 8, 2014.
E! Online reports that as the singer promoted her Clean and Clear Campaign, she also took it as an opportunity to talk about the stigma surrounding bipolar disorder. The singer shared that the success she attained in her music career does not mean she is not facing problems on a regular basis because of this mental condition.
"It's a part of who I am. And you know, whether this campaign is about people having mental illness or not having one at all, I think that everyone can relate. And that covers people who are suffering from mental illnesses or people who are just struggling.... It's important to have people around you that are going to be there for support in times like that. I look up to a lot of people around me, my best friends, family," shared Demi to E! Online.
The star also shared once to Cosmopolitan for Latinas how difficult it is to maintain her health. More than just the treatments and the medications she is receiving, she has to have a lot of control and discipline.
"It's a daily thing. I treat it with medication. Not everybody does that, but for me it works. That's what works for me - medicating, checking in with people, being honest, and being grateful for things," shared the young Latina star.
But Demi is not letting her condition get to her career. She is currently preparing for her upcoming appearance at the MTV VMAs this weekend where she has been nominated for the category of "Best Lyric Video" for her tune "Really Don't Care."
Demi claimed to E! Online that she is really excited about this specific nomination. While unsure if she could win the category, the singer is already very grateful for the nomination.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2