Demi Lovato Shares Bipolar Disorder Part Of Who She Is, Nothing To Be Ashamed Of
By Annie Dee | August 23, 2014 7:20 PM EST
Demi Lovato has nothing to hide and she's on the mission to share to the world what it means to be a bipolar. While some people think that it is mental condition that they should hide and be ashamed of, Demi does not have any qualms of sharing the topic with the public. In fact, she makes it a point to discuss it openly because she thinks this can help others diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
Singer Demi Lovato serves as grand marshal during the 44th annual Los Angeles Pride parade in West Hollywood, California June 8, 2014.
E! Online reports that as the singer promoted her Clean and Clear Campaign, she also took it as an opportunity to talk about the stigma surrounding bipolar disorder. The singer shared that the success she attained in her music career does not mean she is not facing problems on a regular basis because of this mental condition.
"It's a part of who I am. And you know, whether this campaign is about people having mental illness or not having one at all, I think that everyone can relate. And that covers people who are suffering from mental illnesses or people who are just struggling.... It's important to have people around you that are going to be there for support in times like that. I look up to a lot of people around me, my best friends, family," shared Demi to E! Online.
The star also shared once to Cosmopolitan for Latinas how difficult it is to maintain her health. More than just the treatments and the medications she is receiving, she has to have a lot of control and discipline.
"It's a daily thing. I treat it with medication. Not everybody does that, but for me it works. That's what works for me - medicating, checking in with people, being honest, and being grateful for things," shared the young Latina star.
But Demi is not letting her condition get to her career. She is currently preparing for her upcoming appearance at the MTV VMAs this weekend where she has been nominated for the category of "Best Lyric Video" for her tune "Really Don't Care."
Demi claimed to E! Online that she is really excited about this specific nomination. While unsure if she could win the category, the singer is already very grateful for the nomination.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build