Demi Lovato Shares Bipolar Disorder Part Of Who She Is, Nothing To Be Ashamed Of
By Annie Dee | August 23, 2014 7:20 PM EST
Demi Lovato has nothing to hide and she's on the mission to share to the world what it means to be a bipolar. While some people think that it is mental condition that they should hide and be ashamed of, Demi does not have any qualms of sharing the topic with the public. In fact, she makes it a point to discuss it openly because she thinks this can help others diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
Singer Demi Lovato serves as grand marshal during the 44th annual Los Angeles Pride parade in West Hollywood, California June 8, 2014.
E! Online reports that as the singer promoted her Clean and Clear Campaign, she also took it as an opportunity to talk about the stigma surrounding bipolar disorder. The singer shared that the success she attained in her music career does not mean she is not facing problems on a regular basis because of this mental condition.
"It's a part of who I am. And you know, whether this campaign is about people having mental illness or not having one at all, I think that everyone can relate. And that covers people who are suffering from mental illnesses or people who are just struggling.... It's important to have people around you that are going to be there for support in times like that. I look up to a lot of people around me, my best friends, family," shared Demi to E! Online.
The star also shared once to Cosmopolitan for Latinas how difficult it is to maintain her health. More than just the treatments and the medications she is receiving, she has to have a lot of control and discipline.
"It's a daily thing. I treat it with medication. Not everybody does that, but for me it works. That's what works for me - medicating, checking in with people, being honest, and being grateful for things," shared the young Latina star.
But Demi is not letting her condition get to her career. She is currently preparing for her upcoming appearance at the MTV VMAs this weekend where she has been nominated for the category of "Best Lyric Video" for her tune "Really Don't Care."
Demi claimed to E! Online that she is really excited about this specific nomination. While unsure if she could win the category, the singer is already very grateful for the nomination.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation