Manchester United Vs Sunderland: Marcos Rogo Not Available
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 23, 2014 5:11 PM EST
Manchester United will be without two of their most popular signings of the season. Marcos Rojo and Ander Herrera are set to miss the first game against Sunderland. Ander Herrera encountered an ankle injury while training and Marcos Rojo hasn't been given a work permit yet. This is a sad news for the fans, who have been expecting to see the new lad play for the Red Devils. Manchester United had a horrid start to the season as they were defeated by Swansea at home.
Manchester United players pose for a team photo before their international soccer friendly match against Los Angeles Galaxy in Pasadena, California July 23, 2014. One bad season for Manchester United has not shaken General Motors Co's belief in its $559 million sponsorship deal with the English soccer club as GM's global mainstream auto brand, Chevrolet, will debut as the jersey sponsor in a match on Wednesday night.
Louis van Gaal seemed confident about his team's chances as they try to achieve their first Premier League win this season. However, he wasn't concerned about Herrera's injury. "Herrera (was hurt) yesterday in training but it is too early to make a scan," Van Gaal said, as reported by Mail Online. "Rojo is fit, but we still have to arrange the work permit," he added.
Manchester United will be missing quality players in the midfield. They have not signed a midfielder as promised while available midfielders have not recovered from injuries. Andre Herrera, Marouane Fellaini, Jesse Lingard and Michael Carrick wouldn't be there to help bridge the gap between the poor defense and an experienced forward line.
There has been serious criticism regarding the buying ability of Ed Woodward, the chairman of Manchester United. He wasn't able to cash in at crucial moments, which meant the team couldn't sign the likes of Thomas Vermaelen, Arturo Vidal and Tony Kroos. There are still nine days left before the close of the transfer window and there remain a lot of places that should be filled in the United lineup.
Van Gaal, just like Paul Scholes, played down any chance of winning the Premier League this season. He seems to be focusing on building a team and wants the help of his fans in this process. "It is not a question of being champion," he said. "We have to build a team, and that process takes maybe longer. The fans need to believe."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- Marin Cilic Is The Third-Highest Earner On ATP Tour With His $3M US Open Prize Money
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone