Manchester United Vs Sunderland: Marcos Rogo Not Available
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 23, 2014 5:11 PM EST
Manchester United will be without two of their most popular signings of the season. Marcos Rojo and Ander Herrera are set to miss the first game against Sunderland. Ander Herrera encountered an ankle injury while training and Marcos Rojo hasn't been given a work permit yet. This is a sad news for the fans, who have been expecting to see the new lad play for the Red Devils. Manchester United had a horrid start to the season as they were defeated by Swansea at home.
Manchester United players pose for a team photo before their international soccer friendly match against Los Angeles Galaxy in Pasadena, California July 23, 2014. One bad season for Manchester United has not shaken General Motors Co's belief in its $559 million sponsorship deal with the English soccer club as GM's global mainstream auto brand, Chevrolet, will debut as the jersey sponsor in a match on Wednesday night.
Louis van Gaal seemed confident about his team's chances as they try to achieve their first Premier League win this season. However, he wasn't concerned about Herrera's injury. "Herrera (was hurt) yesterday in training but it is too early to make a scan," Van Gaal said, as reported by Mail Online. "Rojo is fit, but we still have to arrange the work permit," he added.
Manchester United will be missing quality players in the midfield. They have not signed a midfielder as promised while available midfielders have not recovered from injuries. Andre Herrera, Marouane Fellaini, Jesse Lingard and Michael Carrick wouldn't be there to help bridge the gap between the poor defense and an experienced forward line.
There has been serious criticism regarding the buying ability of Ed Woodward, the chairman of Manchester United. He wasn't able to cash in at crucial moments, which meant the team couldn't sign the likes of Thomas Vermaelen, Arturo Vidal and Tony Kroos. There are still nine days left before the close of the transfer window and there remain a lot of places that should be filled in the United lineup.
Van Gaal, just like Paul Scholes, played down any chance of winning the Premier League this season. He seems to be focusing on building a team and wants the help of his fans in this process. "It is not a question of being champion," he said. "We have to build a team, and that process takes maybe longer. The fans need to believe."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles