Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 23, 2014 12:46 AM EST
A rumour of Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho trying to convince Real Madrid holding midfielder Sami Khedira to see out the remaining year of his contract at the Bernabeu and move to Stamford Bridge for free afterwards might have just been validated.
Real Madrid's Sami Khedira (L) and Toni Kroos attend a training session at Valdebebas training grounds, outside Madrid August 5, 2014.
Los Blancos boss Carlo Ancelloti revealed that the World Cup-winning 27-year-old refused to pen a new deal that would apparently serve as a sort of assurance for the Spanish giants that they would still be able to profit from him come next summer, should the former Stuttgart standout decide to pursue his career elsewhere.
"He's [Khedira] not asked to go. He's rejected an offer to renew, but has a year of contract. We'll see what happens," said Ancelloti.
The Germany international's market value has risen anew despite suffering a slight decline during the middle stretch of the 2013/14 season after he was kept on the sidelines for almost six months due to a knee injury.
The west Londoners are believed to have become wary of FIFA's Financial Fair Play scheme, with top clubs like Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain used as examples after they were ordered to pay millions worth of fine for violating the rule, and would like to invest on players wisely.
As it stands, the purchases of Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas, and Filipe Luis cost the Blues £80million on the estimate, but these expenses are offset by the departures of Romelu Lukaku, David Luiz, and Demba Ba, which gave them a reported gain of almost the same figure.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet