Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 23, 2014 12:46 AM EST
A rumour of Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho trying to convince Real Madrid holding midfielder Sami Khedira to see out the remaining year of his contract at the Bernabeu and move to Stamford Bridge for free afterwards might have just been validated.
Real Madrid's Sami Khedira (L) and Toni Kroos attend a training session at Valdebebas training grounds, outside Madrid August 5, 2014.
Los Blancos boss Carlo Ancelloti revealed that the World Cup-winning 27-year-old refused to pen a new deal that would apparently serve as a sort of assurance for the Spanish giants that they would still be able to profit from him come next summer, should the former Stuttgart standout decide to pursue his career elsewhere.
"He's [Khedira] not asked to go. He's rejected an offer to renew, but has a year of contract. We'll see what happens," said Ancelloti.
The Germany international's market value has risen anew despite suffering a slight decline during the middle stretch of the 2013/14 season after he was kept on the sidelines for almost six months due to a knee injury.
The west Londoners are believed to have become wary of FIFA's Financial Fair Play scheme, with top clubs like Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain used as examples after they were ordered to pay millions worth of fine for violating the rule, and would like to invest on players wisely.
As it stands, the purchases of Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas, and Filipe Luis cost the Blues £80million on the estimate, but these expenses are offset by the departures of Romelu Lukaku, David Luiz, and Demba Ba, which gave them a reported gain of almost the same figure.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’