Adnan Januzaj Aims To Be The New Ryan Giggs For Manchester United
By Mohammad Sohaib | August 22, 2014 4:32 PM EST
The young Manchester United winger, Adnan Januzaj, is determined to fill the shoes of the team's highly acclaimed legend, Ryan Giggs. Januzaj, who was signed by United at a young age of 16, has been allotted the No.11 shirt. The Belgian winger has regarded this decision as an honour and vows to endeavour in meeting the expectations of the team and his fans.
Adnan Januzaj and Robin Van Persie will be under pressure to find goals for Manchester United. Reuters
Several managers have been quoted recognizing Januzaj as one of the players who will be enjoying a promising career at Old Trafford. His remarkable talent has been showcased in the previous season, wherein he was recognized as the 'Player of the Match' more than once. The recognitions he attained have made him an even more sought after player by the United management.
There has always been a debate on whether the number on the back of his shirt would add pressure to the 19-year-old athlete. Nobody has ever worn a shirt more frequently than the '11' worn by Ryan Giggs. After Januzaj's promising performance last season, the United management is said to be reluctant in moving a quality winger at Old Trafford to avoid interfering the development of their new No. 11 player. At 19, Januzaj has played in the World Cup finals for the Belgium International team. Therefore, he is regarded to have acquired sufficient exposure in competing at the highest level. His experience may then save United from suffering another embarrassing season. In an interview posted at the club's website, Januzaj said, "I have played games and I think there is more to come. I hope to win trophies at this club and be the best player."
Fortunately for Januzaj, his role model, Ryan Giggs, will remain with the club. Being granted the No. 11 shirt has been an admittedly proud moment for Januzaj, who confessed to have always dreamed of following the footsteps of Ryan Giggs. "It was a big honour for me and my family and I was very happy to have it given to me," the Belgian midfielder said, as reported by Mail Online. "There is pressure on me because there was a legend in front of me who had it for 20 years, but I am really happy with that," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L