From 'The Amazing Spider-Man' to Musical Broadway 'Cabaret': Emma Stone To Star in Musical as Cabaret Singer
By nidhi tewari | August 22, 2014 3:15 PM EST
Emma Stone's career has come a long way from "The Amazing Spiderman" to a Broadway musical. The 25-year-old actress is set to make her debut as cabaret singer Sally Bowles in the revival of the Broadway musical "Cabaret," Roundabout Theatre Company has revealed. Stone will replace Oscar-nominated actress Michelle Williams who quits the show in November. Williams has been playing Sally since the show re-opened in April.
Actress Emma Stone arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014.
Stone was in talks with the show producers since 2013 to play the role of Sally Bowles but could not do so because of her busy filming schedules. The "Cabaret" team then approached the "Brokeback Mountain" actress Michelle Williams for the same role and she accepted. Sally's role has previously been played by many actresses including Gina Gershon, Melina Kanakaredes, Lea Thompson, Alyson Reed, Natasha Richardson, Jane Leeves and Dame Judi Dench, among others.
Emma Stone will be featured in "Cabaret" from Nov 11 to Feb 1, 2015. Stone will play the role of a 19-year-old cabaret dancer who has a relationship with the young American writer Cliff Bradshaw. Michelle Williams makes her exit on Nov 9.
Scottish actor Alan Cumming will continue to star as Emcee in the Sam Mendes production and his role has been extended till March 29, 2015. This means another actress stand the chance to star in the musical after Emma completes her run. Cumming has been in the musical since 1998 and celebrated his 500th performance in the role of a thrilling Emcee in June, 2014. The talented actor also won a Tony Award for his role.
The show is set in 1931 Berlin, Germany and tells the story of squalid cabaret nightlife at the Kit Kat Club when the Nazis began rising to power. The musical "Cabaret" is based on a book by the same name written by Christopher Isherwood, which was also converted to a film in 1972.
Meanwhile Emma Stone has her hands completely full when it comes to work. The actress is currently working on a Woody Allen film "Magic in the Moonlight." She has also been roped in for another comedy drama called "Birdman" where she stars opposite Michael Keaton. "Birdman" will be screened at the Venice Film Festival in coming week.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate