From 'The Amazing Spider-Man' to Musical Broadway 'Cabaret': Emma Stone To Star in Musical as Cabaret Singer
By nidhi tewari | August 22, 2014 3:15 PM EST
Emma Stone's career has come a long way from "The Amazing Spiderman" to a Broadway musical. The 25-year-old actress is set to make her debut as cabaret singer Sally Bowles in the revival of the Broadway musical "Cabaret," Roundabout Theatre Company has revealed. Stone will replace Oscar-nominated actress Michelle Williams who quits the show in November. Williams has been playing Sally since the show re-opened in April.
Actress Emma Stone arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014.
Stone was in talks with the show producers since 2013 to play the role of Sally Bowles but could not do so because of her busy filming schedules. The "Cabaret" team then approached the "Brokeback Mountain" actress Michelle Williams for the same role and she accepted. Sally's role has previously been played by many actresses including Gina Gershon, Melina Kanakaredes, Lea Thompson, Alyson Reed, Natasha Richardson, Jane Leeves and Dame Judi Dench, among others.
Emma Stone will be featured in "Cabaret" from Nov 11 to Feb 1, 2015. Stone will play the role of a 19-year-old cabaret dancer who has a relationship with the young American writer Cliff Bradshaw. Michelle Williams makes her exit on Nov 9.
Scottish actor Alan Cumming will continue to star as Emcee in the Sam Mendes production and his role has been extended till March 29, 2015. This means another actress stand the chance to star in the musical after Emma completes her run. Cumming has been in the musical since 1998 and celebrated his 500th performance in the role of a thrilling Emcee in June, 2014. The talented actor also won a Tony Award for his role.
The show is set in 1931 Berlin, Germany and tells the story of squalid cabaret nightlife at the Kit Kat Club when the Nazis began rising to power. The musical "Cabaret" is based on a book by the same name written by Christopher Isherwood, which was also converted to a film in 1972.
Meanwhile Emma Stone has her hands completely full when it comes to work. The actress is currently working on a Woody Allen film "Magic in the Moonlight." She has also been roped in for another comedy drama called "Birdman" where she stars opposite Michael Keaton. "Birdman" will be screened at the Venice Film Festival in coming week.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report