New ‘Samsung Galaxy S5 4G+’ At $550 Will Sport Snapdragon 805 Processor; Launch Date Set For Aug 23
By Pavithra Rathinavel | August 22, 2014 12:14 PM EST
Samsung flags are set up at the main entrance to the Berlin fair ground before the IFA consumer electronics fair in Berlin in this August 28, 2012 file photo. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is emerging as a major player in its local debt market, buying more South Korean-issued bonds as it juggles a $60 billion cash pile. Samsung's push into private bank debt and government bonds underscores the challenges faced by the electronics giant in managing its massive cash holdings, with local banks reluctant to overload on short-term deposits from Samsung.
Apparently, the upcoming Galaxy S5 4G+ will sport identical specifications as the Galaxy S5. However, the difference comes in the form of under the hood configuration. The device will be powered by a superior Snapdragon 805 processor instead of the regular Snapdragon 801 processor. Furthermore, this handset will be launched in Singapore as the first location on Aug. 23. Also, Singapore's SingTel is the first carrier to offer this device. In addition, the Galaxy S5 4G+ will be capable of providing up to 300 Mbps LTE-A download speed ambit, according to Phone Arena.
Also it is worth noting that, the Samsung Galaxy S5 4G+ is not the same as the Galaxy S5 LTE-A. The Galaxy S5 LTE-A has recently been released in several Asian markets with an impressive Quad HD resolution, while the original Galaxy S5 and the upcoming Galaxy S5 4G+ come with Full HD resolutions. In specific, the Galaxy S5 LTE-A handset features a 5.1-inch Super AMOLED display along with 1,440 x 2,560 pixels resolution and a killer pixel density of 576 ppi.
The upcoming Galaxy S5 4G+ model, on the other hand, comes with the same 5.1-inch display, however the screen resolution stands at 1,080 x 1,920 pixels and the pixel density at 432 ppi. Moreover, there is one other phone powered by Snapdragon 805 processor available currently. It is the LG G3 Prime (also referred as LG G3 Cat. 6) specific to Korean markets. The upcoming phones like Galaxy Note 4 and the Nexus 6 are expected to come with the powerful 805 processor from Qualcomm.
Notably, the Snapdragon 805 chipset is the second best processor available at the present time next only to NVIDIA's Tegra K1 processor, according to AnTuTu's ranking based on under the hood performance. Furthermore, the Galaxy S5 4G+ is priced between 0 SGD and 688 SGD in Singapore (based on the plan) that roughly translates to US$550 and AU$593. However, the availability of this handset outside Singapore is not known at this point.
Samsung Galaxy S5 4G+ handset's key features that are similar to the Galaxy S5 include:
- 16/32 GB internal storage
- microSD support for expansion up to 128 GB
- 2 GB RAM
- 16 MP rear-facing camera with LED flash and 2 MP front-facing shooter
- Android OS, v4.4.2 (KitKat)
- User-replaceable Li-Ion 2800 mAh battery unit
- NFC/ Infrared port support
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan