Woman Accuses Labor Leader of 1986 Rape When She was 16; Shorten Admits Being Probed But Says He Was Cleared
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 22, 2014 9:35 AM EST
Labor leader Bill Shorten admitted on Thursday that he was accused of rape by a young woman. The crime allegedly happened in the 1980s. However, he said that based on information from the Victoria Police, there was no case and no charges were laid.
The woman made the claim in a Facebook post. She recalled that she was 16 years old in 1986 when she joined the Australian Labor Party. She was a delegate for ALP state and national conference. At a Young Labor camp near Geelong, while she was alone, she heard a knock at her door at 4 am.
She claimed it was Shorten who was at the door. She said he pushed her into a bathroom against a towel rack, removed her pants and allegedly sexually molested her.
The Facebook post in 2013 led the Victoria police to investigate her claim after she filed a complaint against the Labor leader. After the cops' probe, they asked for advice from the Office of Public Prosecutions which said "there was no reasonable prospect of conviction." They then informed Shorten and his accuser of their decision.
Shorten said he could have easily just kept mum about the investigation, but he decided to clear his name, saying, "The easy option would be to say nothing, but that is not who I am."
He refused to provide more details about the claim of rape, but described her charges as false and abhorrent. However, Shorten acknowledged that she is someone whom he knew briefly during their younger days when he was 19.
Other prominent politicians who have been accused of sexual misconduct include former Labor MP Craig Thomson who was found guilty of spending union money on prostitutes and former House Speaker Peter Slipper who resigned from his post after a male staff filed sexual harassment charges against him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Psychotic New York Man Beheads Mum & Hangs Butchered Body As Halloween Décor
- Forced Marriages And Child Brides Rampant In Australia: Police Said
- Singapore Top Court Maintains Law Criminalising Gay Sex
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists