Drag Queen Conchita Wurst Models in Designer Clothes for Latest Issue of CR Fashion Book
By nidhi tewari | August 22, 2014 9:06 AM EST
Drag Queen Conchita Wurst has been shot by ace photographer Karl Lagerfeld for the latest issue of CR Fashion Book. The winner of 2014's Eurovision Song Contest appears alongside pregnant model Ashleigh Good for the special issue of the magazine "The New Normal." The world famous bearded burlesque singer appears in suspenders and clothes from various fashion designers including Givenchy and Prada.
Austria's Conchita Wurst poses with her trophy after a news conference in Vienna May 11, 2014. Wurst, popularly known as "the bearded lady," won the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday
Lagerfeld seems quite impressed with Conchita whose real name is Thomas Neuwirth and was born a male. "I like Conchita because not only does he really have a voice but he has done something that's never been done before. We have all heard of "bearded ladies" but no one has ever seen a bearded man posing as a lady... This brings new meaning to the term 'drag,'" reveals the photographer according to Daily Mail.
The CR Fashion Book calls Ashley and Conchita as "emerging fashion icons" while Lagerfeld says the idea of having a "skinny musician" next to a pregnant top model was "a game of volumes."
In an interview with model Casey Legler, the Austrian singing star revealed that he was always this "weird little boy" since childhood who loved dressing up as a girl. His journey as a drag queen started when he was barely 14-years-old and did it for fun at his friend's parties. At first he would just fool around by talking funny things on microphone but things changed when a burlesque friend asked him to host her show every Saturday.
"That was the point when I started to do drag regularly. It was overwhelming for me, because besides having fun and dressing up every weekend, I got to learn from such great artists, people who are allowed to do whatever they want. It opened my eyes to a totally new world," reveals Conchita, who prefers to be called a "she" when addressed.
Carine Roitfeld, former editor of Vogue Paris and now the founder of CR Fashion Book reveals that taking Conchita as subjects was quite difficult as shooting a drag queen is a "sensitive subject." But she thanked Karl for his expertise in shooting and "giving strength" to Conchita's character.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS