Drag Queen Conchita Wurst Models in Designer Clothes for Latest Issue of CR Fashion Book
By nidhi tewari | August 22, 2014 9:06 AM EST
Drag Queen Conchita Wurst has been shot by ace photographer Karl Lagerfeld for the latest issue of CR Fashion Book. The winner of 2014's Eurovision Song Contest appears alongside pregnant model Ashleigh Good for the special issue of the magazine "The New Normal." The world famous bearded burlesque singer appears in suspenders and clothes from various fashion designers including Givenchy and Prada.
Austria's Conchita Wurst poses with her trophy after a news conference in Vienna May 11, 2014. Wurst, popularly known as "the bearded lady," won the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday
Lagerfeld seems quite impressed with Conchita whose real name is Thomas Neuwirth and was born a male. "I like Conchita because not only does he really have a voice but he has done something that's never been done before. We have all heard of "bearded ladies" but no one has ever seen a bearded man posing as a lady... This brings new meaning to the term 'drag,'" reveals the photographer according to Daily Mail.
The CR Fashion Book calls Ashley and Conchita as "emerging fashion icons" while Lagerfeld says the idea of having a "skinny musician" next to a pregnant top model was "a game of volumes."
In an interview with model Casey Legler, the Austrian singing star revealed that he was always this "weird little boy" since childhood who loved dressing up as a girl. His journey as a drag queen started when he was barely 14-years-old and did it for fun at his friend's parties. At first he would just fool around by talking funny things on microphone but things changed when a burlesque friend asked him to host her show every Saturday.
"That was the point when I started to do drag regularly. It was overwhelming for me, because besides having fun and dressing up every weekend, I got to learn from such great artists, people who are allowed to do whatever they want. It opened my eyes to a totally new world," reveals Conchita, who prefers to be called a "she" when addressed.
Carine Roitfeld, former editor of Vogue Paris and now the founder of CR Fashion Book reveals that taking Conchita as subjects was quite difficult as shooting a drag queen is a "sensitive subject." But she thanked Karl for his expertise in shooting and "giving strength" to Conchita's character.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate