Drag Queen Conchita Wurst Models in Designer Clothes for Latest Issue of CR Fashion Book
By nidhi tewari | August 22, 2014 9:06 AM EST
Drag Queen Conchita Wurst has been shot by ace photographer Karl Lagerfeld for the latest issue of CR Fashion Book. The winner of 2014's Eurovision Song Contest appears alongside pregnant model Ashleigh Good for the special issue of the magazine "The New Normal." The world famous bearded burlesque singer appears in suspenders and clothes from various fashion designers including Givenchy and Prada.
Austria's Conchita Wurst poses with her trophy after a news conference in Vienna May 11, 2014. Wurst, popularly known as "the bearded lady," won the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday
Lagerfeld seems quite impressed with Conchita whose real name is Thomas Neuwirth and was born a male. "I like Conchita because not only does he really have a voice but he has done something that's never been done before. We have all heard of "bearded ladies" but no one has ever seen a bearded man posing as a lady... This brings new meaning to the term 'drag,'" reveals the photographer according to Daily Mail.
The CR Fashion Book calls Ashley and Conchita as "emerging fashion icons" while Lagerfeld says the idea of having a "skinny musician" next to a pregnant top model was "a game of volumes."
In an interview with model Casey Legler, the Austrian singing star revealed that he was always this "weird little boy" since childhood who loved dressing up as a girl. His journey as a drag queen started when he was barely 14-years-old and did it for fun at his friend's parties. At first he would just fool around by talking funny things on microphone but things changed when a burlesque friend asked him to host her show every Saturday.
"That was the point when I started to do drag regularly. It was overwhelming for me, because besides having fun and dressing up every weekend, I got to learn from such great artists, people who are allowed to do whatever they want. It opened my eyes to a totally new world," reveals Conchita, who prefers to be called a "she" when addressed.
Carine Roitfeld, former editor of Vogue Paris and now the founder of CR Fashion Book reveals that taking Conchita as subjects was quite difficult as shooting a drag queen is a "sensitive subject." But she thanked Karl for his expertise in shooting and "giving strength" to Conchita's character.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 (2014) Winner: Eliminated Contestants Predict Who Could Win It All
- Prince Harry Enjoys Three-Day Visit To Oman, Picks Up Present For Prince George And Performs With Traditional Sword Dancers
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices