Drag Queen Conchita Wurst Models in Designer Clothes for Latest Issue of CR Fashion Book
By nidhi tewari | August 22, 2014 9:06 AM EST
Drag Queen Conchita Wurst has been shot by ace photographer Karl Lagerfeld for the latest issue of CR Fashion Book. The winner of 2014's Eurovision Song Contest appears alongside pregnant model Ashleigh Good for the special issue of the magazine "The New Normal." The world famous bearded burlesque singer appears in suspenders and clothes from various fashion designers including Givenchy and Prada.
Austria's Conchita Wurst poses with her trophy after a news conference in Vienna May 11, 2014. Wurst, popularly known as "the bearded lady," won the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday
Lagerfeld seems quite impressed with Conchita whose real name is Thomas Neuwirth and was born a male. "I like Conchita because not only does he really have a voice but he has done something that's never been done before. We have all heard of "bearded ladies" but no one has ever seen a bearded man posing as a lady... This brings new meaning to the term 'drag,'" reveals the photographer according to Daily Mail.
The CR Fashion Book calls Ashley and Conchita as "emerging fashion icons" while Lagerfeld says the idea of having a "skinny musician" next to a pregnant top model was "a game of volumes."
In an interview with model Casey Legler, the Austrian singing star revealed that he was always this "weird little boy" since childhood who loved dressing up as a girl. His journey as a drag queen started when he was barely 14-years-old and did it for fun at his friend's parties. At first he would just fool around by talking funny things on microphone but things changed when a burlesque friend asked him to host her show every Saturday.
"That was the point when I started to do drag regularly. It was overwhelming for me, because besides having fun and dressing up every weekend, I got to learn from such great artists, people who are allowed to do whatever they want. It opened my eyes to a totally new world," reveals Conchita, who prefers to be called a "she" when addressed.
Carine Roitfeld, former editor of Vogue Paris and now the founder of CR Fashion Book reveals that taking Conchita as subjects was quite difficult as shooting a drag queen is a "sensitive subject." But she thanked Karl for his expertise in shooting and "giving strength" to Conchita's character.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 15, 2014: Liam Confronts Quinn About Her Secret Regarding Paris [WATCH VIDEO]
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect