Drag Queen Conchita Wurst Models in Designer Clothes for Latest Issue of CR Fashion Book
By nidhi tewari | August 22, 2014 9:06 AM EST
Drag Queen Conchita Wurst has been shot by ace photographer Karl Lagerfeld for the latest issue of CR Fashion Book. The winner of 2014's Eurovision Song Contest appears alongside pregnant model Ashleigh Good for the special issue of the magazine "The New Normal." The world famous bearded burlesque singer appears in suspenders and clothes from various fashion designers including Givenchy and Prada.
Austria's Conchita Wurst poses with her trophy after a news conference in Vienna May 11, 2014. Wurst, popularly known as "the bearded lady," won the 59th annual Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday
Lagerfeld seems quite impressed with Conchita whose real name is Thomas Neuwirth and was born a male. "I like Conchita because not only does he really have a voice but he has done something that's never been done before. We have all heard of "bearded ladies" but no one has ever seen a bearded man posing as a lady... This brings new meaning to the term 'drag,'" reveals the photographer according to Daily Mail.
The CR Fashion Book calls Ashley and Conchita as "emerging fashion icons" while Lagerfeld says the idea of having a "skinny musician" next to a pregnant top model was "a game of volumes."
In an interview with model Casey Legler, the Austrian singing star revealed that he was always this "weird little boy" since childhood who loved dressing up as a girl. His journey as a drag queen started when he was barely 14-years-old and did it for fun at his friend's parties. At first he would just fool around by talking funny things on microphone but things changed when a burlesque friend asked him to host her show every Saturday.
"That was the point when I started to do drag regularly. It was overwhelming for me, because besides having fun and dressing up every weekend, I got to learn from such great artists, people who are allowed to do whatever they want. It opened my eyes to a totally new world," reveals Conchita, who prefers to be called a "she" when addressed.
Carine Roitfeld, former editor of Vogue Paris and now the founder of CR Fashion Book reveals that taking Conchita as subjects was quite difficult as shooting a drag queen is a "sensitive subject." But she thanked Karl for his expertise in shooting and "giving strength" to Conchita's character.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage