Billy Crystal and Sara Bareilles to Honour Robin Williams at 2014 Emmy Awards Show
By nidhi tewari | August 22, 2014 9:04 AM EST
The tribute to late comedian Robin Williams at the 2014 Emmy Award will come from another equally talented comedian Billy Crystal, it has been revealed. The 66-year-old actor was a good friend of Williams and also worked with him in the 1997 movie titled "Father's Day." Crystal is yet to speak publically about his late friend Robin Williams' untimely death. On the day of Williams' death, the actor wrote "No words" on Twitter.
Robin Williams gestures during a panel discussion for his upcoming HBO show "Robin Williams: Weapons of Self-Destruction" at the Television Critics Association Cable summer press tour in Pasadena, July 30, 2009.
Crystal will commemorate Williams during the Emmy Awards show "In Memoriam" segment, which honors late actors who have left their mark in the history of television. "We felt we needed to do something powerful and memorable. Billy seemed like the perfect choice," said Emmy producer Don Mischer.
"We are working to give Robin Williams the proper and meaningful remembrance he so well deserves," revealed Mischer last week before coming up with this announcement on Wednesday morning.
Grammy Award winning singer Sara Bareilles will also be part of the special tribute to Williams and will handle the musical part of the segment. Bareilles recently dedicated her song "Hercules" to Robin Williams after his death. It is not clear what song will Bareilles dedicate to the late actor on the Emmy Awards night.
Williams was found dead in his Northern California home on Aug. 11 and it was later revealed that the actor took his own life. Though the case of his death is still under investigation, his friends, children and media have made several speculations as to why the actor might have taken his own life.
Rob Schneider, who was a long time friend of Williams, believes that the actor took his own life because of the side effects of a new medication he was taking to control the onset of Parkinson's disease.
"Now that we can talk about it #Robin Williams was on a drug treating the symptoms of Parkinson's. One of the side effects is suicide," tweeted Schneider.
In 2013, the "Mrs. Doubtfire" actor honored his friend and mentor Jonathan Winters during the tribute segment. The 66th annual prime-time Emmy Awards airs Aug 25 on NBC. Late night talk show host Seth Meyers will host the star-studded event.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Talks About Marrying Scott Disick, Her Pregnancy Cravings and Picking Out Baby Names
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ Premiere Announcement Plus Spoilers [Watch Video]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists