Billy Crystal and Sara Bareilles to Honour Robin Williams at 2014 Emmy Awards Show
By nidhi tewari | August 22, 2014 9:04 AM EST
The tribute to late comedian Robin Williams at the 2014 Emmy Award will come from another equally talented comedian Billy Crystal, it has been revealed. The 66-year-old actor was a good friend of Williams and also worked with him in the 1997 movie titled "Father's Day." Crystal is yet to speak publically about his late friend Robin Williams' untimely death. On the day of Williams' death, the actor wrote "No words" on Twitter.
Robin Williams gestures during a panel discussion for his upcoming HBO show "Robin Williams: Weapons of Self-Destruction" at the Television Critics Association Cable summer press tour in Pasadena, July 30, 2009.
Crystal will commemorate Williams during the Emmy Awards show "In Memoriam" segment, which honors late actors who have left their mark in the history of television. "We felt we needed to do something powerful and memorable. Billy seemed like the perfect choice," said Emmy producer Don Mischer.
"We are working to give Robin Williams the proper and meaningful remembrance he so well deserves," revealed Mischer last week before coming up with this announcement on Wednesday morning.
Grammy Award winning singer Sara Bareilles will also be part of the special tribute to Williams and will handle the musical part of the segment. Bareilles recently dedicated her song "Hercules" to Robin Williams after his death. It is not clear what song will Bareilles dedicate to the late actor on the Emmy Awards night.
Williams was found dead in his Northern California home on Aug. 11 and it was later revealed that the actor took his own life. Though the case of his death is still under investigation, his friends, children and media have made several speculations as to why the actor might have taken his own life.
Rob Schneider, who was a long time friend of Williams, believes that the actor took his own life because of the side effects of a new medication he was taking to control the onset of Parkinson's disease.
"Now that we can talk about it #Robin Williams was on a drug treating the symptoms of Parkinson's. One of the side effects is suicide," tweeted Schneider.
In 2013, the "Mrs. Doubtfire" actor honored his friend and mentor Jonathan Winters during the tribute segment. The 66th annual prime-time Emmy Awards airs Aug 25 on NBC. Late night talk show host Seth Meyers will host the star-studded event.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu