Billy Crystal and Sara Bareilles to Honour Robin Williams at 2014 Emmy Awards Show
By nidhi tewari | August 22, 2014 9:04 AM EST
The tribute to late comedian Robin Williams at the 2014 Emmy Award will come from another equally talented comedian Billy Crystal, it has been revealed. The 66-year-old actor was a good friend of Williams and also worked with him in the 1997 movie titled "Father's Day." Crystal is yet to speak publically about his late friend Robin Williams' untimely death. On the day of Williams' death, the actor wrote "No words" on Twitter.
Robin Williams gestures during a panel discussion for his upcoming HBO show "Robin Williams: Weapons of Self-Destruction" at the Television Critics Association Cable summer press tour in Pasadena, July 30, 2009.
Crystal will commemorate Williams during the Emmy Awards show "In Memoriam" segment, which honors late actors who have left their mark in the history of television. "We felt we needed to do something powerful and memorable. Billy seemed like the perfect choice," said Emmy producer Don Mischer.
"We are working to give Robin Williams the proper and meaningful remembrance he so well deserves," revealed Mischer last week before coming up with this announcement on Wednesday morning.
Grammy Award winning singer Sara Bareilles will also be part of the special tribute to Williams and will handle the musical part of the segment. Bareilles recently dedicated her song "Hercules" to Robin Williams after his death. It is not clear what song will Bareilles dedicate to the late actor on the Emmy Awards night.
Williams was found dead in his Northern California home on Aug. 11 and it was later revealed that the actor took his own life. Though the case of his death is still under investigation, his friends, children and media have made several speculations as to why the actor might have taken his own life.
Rob Schneider, who was a long time friend of Williams, believes that the actor took his own life because of the side effects of a new medication he was taking to control the onset of Parkinson's disease.
"Now that we can talk about it #Robin Williams was on a drug treating the symptoms of Parkinson's. One of the side effects is suicide," tweeted Schneider.
In 2013, the "Mrs. Doubtfire" actor honored his friend and mentor Jonathan Winters during the tribute segment. The 66th annual prime-time Emmy Awards airs Aug 25 on NBC. Late night talk show host Seth Meyers will host the star-studded event.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates