Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 21, 2014 9:36 PM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger revealed that he could be bringing in key defensive personnel before the transfer window closes on September 1.
The Gunners squad suffered a setback after Mikel Arteta went down with an ankle injury during their Champions League qualifying match against Besiktas last Tuesday, while the void left by former skipper Thomas Vermaelen is yet to be filled.
Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
AS Roma defender Medhi Benatia (17) heads the ball away from Real Madrid midfielder Alvaro Medran during the game at Cotton Bowl Stadium.
"We have the players we want but we are open as well to any opportunity until the end of the transfer window, who can strengthen our defensive department in quality and number," the 64-year-old Frenchman told Arsenal.com.
"I can't tell you how likely I am [to make a signing], I just said I am open to doing it. It has to be linked with the needed quality."
AS Roma centre-back Mehdi Benatia is one of the names that has recently been associated with a possible move to the Emirates, after refusing to pen a new deal with the Giallorossi, while former Gunner Alex Song, who is on the brink of moving elsewhere as confirmed by Barcelona, seems to be a bargain holding midfield option for the north Londoners.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS