Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 21, 2014 9:36 PM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger revealed that he could be bringing in key defensive personnel before the transfer window closes on September 1.
The Gunners squad suffered a setback after Mikel Arteta went down with an ankle injury during their Champions League qualifying match against Besiktas last Tuesday, while the void left by former skipper Thomas Vermaelen is yet to be filled.
Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
AS Roma defender Medhi Benatia (17) heads the ball away from Real Madrid midfielder Alvaro Medran during the game at Cotton Bowl Stadium.
"We have the players we want but we are open as well to any opportunity until the end of the transfer window, who can strengthen our defensive department in quality and number," the 64-year-old Frenchman told Arsenal.com.
"I can't tell you how likely I am [to make a signing], I just said I am open to doing it. It has to be linked with the needed quality."
AS Roma centre-back Mehdi Benatia is one of the names that has recently been associated with a possible move to the Emirates, after refusing to pen a new deal with the Giallorossi, while former Gunner Alex Song, who is on the brink of moving elsewhere as confirmed by Barcelona, seems to be a bargain holding midfield option for the north Londoners.
Join the Conversation
- Bob Arum Calls Showtime ‘Masochists’ For Allowing Floyd Mayweather To Lose Company Money
- Manny Pacquiao: ‘Money Is Not An Issue, Mayweather Has Not Responded To Challenge Of A Charity Match’
- Roger Federer Hailed Swiss Sportsman Of The Year, Beating Stan Wawrinka
- Hoax Alert: Floyd Mayweather Didn’t Die Of Drug Overdose
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season