Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 21, 2014 9:36 PM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger revealed that he could be bringing in key defensive personnel before the transfer window closes on September 1.
The Gunners squad suffered a setback after Mikel Arteta went down with an ankle injury during their Champions League qualifying match against Besiktas last Tuesday, while the void left by former skipper Thomas Vermaelen is yet to be filled.
Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
AS Roma defender Medhi Benatia (17) heads the ball away from Real Madrid midfielder Alvaro Medran during the game at Cotton Bowl Stadium.
"We have the players we want but we are open as well to any opportunity until the end of the transfer window, who can strengthen our defensive department in quality and number," the 64-year-old Frenchman told Arsenal.com.
"I can't tell you how likely I am [to make a signing], I just said I am open to doing it. It has to be linked with the needed quality."
AS Roma centre-back Mehdi Benatia is one of the names that has recently been associated with a possible move to the Emirates, after refusing to pen a new deal with the Giallorossi, while former Gunner Alex Song, who is on the brink of moving elsewhere as confirmed by Barcelona, seems to be a bargain holding midfield option for the north Londoners.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia