Science of Depression: A Disease With a Biological Basis; Robin Williams A Victiom of the Disease [Watch Video]
By Afza Fathima | August 21, 2014 5:25 PM EST
According to a video called Science of Depression on YouTube by the channel AsapSCIENCE, depression is a biological reality and a medical condition. The video showcases the science behind depression and ways that it can be treated.
Robin Williams gestures during a panel discussion for his upcoming HBO show "Robin Williams: Weapons of Self-Destruction" at the Television Critics Association Cable summer press tour in Pasadena, July 30, 2009.
Most people take the chance of belittling those suffering from depression without giving a thought. What they failed to understand that the key to combatting depression is to create awareness of it as a disease and not a "bad mood."
The narrator of the video explained that what is important is to remember that depression is a disease that has a base in biology, psychology and sociology and that it is not just a weakness that can be got over in a few minutes or days, or is it something that is linked to genes.
Usually, those suffering from depression are considered to be weak, but it takes them major strength to try and fight it.
Robin Williams' devastating suicide has been speculated as he was suffering severely from depression. Questions were raised as to how he could do it as he had the ability to make many people laugh.
According to the Journal of Adolescent Health, 2011, in America, 30,000 people commit suicide every year, and research has showed that 1 of 9 children have attempted suicide before their high school graduation. It has also found that media coverage on it increases its rates.
Huffington Post has come up with five approaches that can help preventing suicide due to depression.
1. Cultivate Hope
A key element for depression has been stated as hopelessness. Assuring people and oneself that there is hope gives us an opportunity to make it through difficult times
2. Address Stress
Stress affects how one views the world. Stress pushes one to try and end their life. People feel that overeating, alcohol and drug abuse, overspending and sitting in front of the television can help reduce stress, but those measures don't help, except make it worse.
3. Help Others
Volunteering helps others as well as ourselves. We develop a sense of gratitude towards others, and it also helps boost us as well by making us gain a different perspective on life. Even just a simple smile or opening th door for a stranger can make others feel nice.
4. Stop Perfectionism
Robin Williams was known to be a perfectionist which ultimately led to him disrupting his life. It makes us feel that we don't need the help when we feel low and also results in sleep deprivation and stress, taking away positivity from ourselves as it leads to just focusing on faults of everyone around.
5. Meaning Over Money
People these days tend to focus on making money rather than on the true meaning of life. What one fails to understand is that happiness doesn't come from money but from purpose in life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sex In The City Actress Kim Cattrall Embraces Menopause
- A Baby Shot In The Head Due To Hunting Accident In Pennsylvania; Chances of Blindness
- Reasons Kate Middleton Cancelled Royal Duties: Weight Gain, Growing Baby Bump, Bloated Face
- Ebola Leaves Children Unwanted And Rejected: UNICEF Reports
- An Apple A Day Keeps Obesity Away: Finds New Study
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money