ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
By Reissa Su | August 21, 2014 4:50 PM EST
A new report has claimed the ISIS member with a British accent who beheaded U.S. journalist, James Foely, has been identified as "John." A trio of Islamic State militants with British roots goes by the names of the legendary Beatles among their hostages in Syria. The suspected ringleader's name is apparently in reference to popular Beatles member, John Lennon.
A masked Islamic State militant holding a knife speaks next to man purported to be U.S. journalist James Foley at an unknown location in this still image from an undated video posted on a social media website.
In a report by the Guardian, the ISIS member who was identified as Foley's executioner has called himself "John." Former hostages who were interviewed have accustomed themselves to associate the names of the three militants to the Beatles because of their upbringing and undeniable British accents.
According to former hostages, the three ISIS members had long served as guards of hostages. One of them is the suspected executioner of Foley who was seen in the graphic video. He was described as a "smart, well-schooled" man and a true follower of radical Islam.
Since the video was released for public consumption, linguistic experts have analysed the voice of the Foley's murderer. They agreed that the voice had a definite British accent and the man could have been from London.
The militant known as "John" and his two comrades were tasked to guard the group's hostages held in Raqqa, an ISIS stronghold.
The British suspect was the same man who allegedly took charge of negotiations with families for a possible release of hostages. According to several reports, the parents of the beheaded journalist were trying to raise money as ransom, but their son was killed before they could deliver.
The British government has vowed to stop ISIS supporters from recruiting in London. British Prime Minister David Cameron said the government will do all it can to prevent citizens from joining the militants in Iraq and Syria.
Intelligence authorities continue to find more clues to reveal the identity of Foley's executioner. Reports have emerged that about 400 British fighters have joined the ranks of ISIS.
After Foley was executed, the ISIS member believed to be "John" has warned that another U.S. journalist, Steven Sotloff, would soon be killed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists