ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
By Reissa Su | August 21, 2014 4:50 PM EST
A new report has claimed the ISIS member with a British accent who beheaded U.S. journalist, James Foely, has been identified as "John." A trio of Islamic State militants with British roots goes by the names of the legendary Beatles among their hostages in Syria. The suspected ringleader's name is apparently in reference to popular Beatles member, John Lennon.
A masked Islamic State militant holding a knife speaks next to man purported to be U.S. journalist James Foley at an unknown location in this still image from an undated video posted on a social media website.
In a report by the Guardian, the ISIS member who was identified as Foley's executioner has called himself "John." Former hostages who were interviewed have accustomed themselves to associate the names of the three militants to the Beatles because of their upbringing and undeniable British accents.
According to former hostages, the three ISIS members had long served as guards of hostages. One of them is the suspected executioner of Foley who was seen in the graphic video. He was described as a "smart, well-schooled" man and a true follower of radical Islam.
Since the video was released for public consumption, linguistic experts have analysed the voice of the Foley's murderer. They agreed that the voice had a definite British accent and the man could have been from London.
The militant known as "John" and his two comrades were tasked to guard the group's hostages held in Raqqa, an ISIS stronghold.
The British suspect was the same man who allegedly took charge of negotiations with families for a possible release of hostages. According to several reports, the parents of the beheaded journalist were trying to raise money as ransom, but their son was killed before they could deliver.
The British government has vowed to stop ISIS supporters from recruiting in London. British Prime Minister David Cameron said the government will do all it can to prevent citizens from joining the militants in Iraq and Syria.
Intelligence authorities continue to find more clues to reveal the identity of Foley's executioner. Reports have emerged that about 400 British fighters have joined the ranks of ISIS.
After Foley was executed, the ISIS member believed to be "John" has warned that another U.S. journalist, Steven Sotloff, would soon be killed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’