Scary Old School Surgical Tools That Will Freak You Out
By Usha Hari | August 21, 2014 3:13 PM EST
Anybody would cringe at the mere thought of all those strange and scary clinical aides and probes that are used to examine patients in a doctor's surgery room. Apparently, in the past it used to be a lot scarier. A quick glance through some of the creepy vintage medical devices that were in use in the past is all it takes to make you feel relieved for being born in a relative modern era.
Here are some absurd medical gadgets that were in use in the yore:
1. The ice cube mask, which includes large chunks of ice kept on the face was supposed to be effective for hangovers. Could it be an ice bucket challenge of sorts for the patients?
2. The Portable respirator for polio with huge pipes and a heavy design that is fastened to the patient surely would have made them like a robot or someone on a space mission. It is not sure whether anyone could have cured of polio, by getting strapped to this machine?
3. French 16th century bullet extractor that looked more like an ornate sword rather than a high precision surgical tool could still get the bullets out of the patients. The screw tip is inserted into the wound to pierce the bullet so that it can be pulled out!
4. If you thought nose sculpting and rhinoplasty was something that only the modern people do, you could be in for a surprise. This device that is tightly strapped on to the nose to make it shapely would have surely hurt the beauty conscious wearer!
5. An appointment with the dentist might never have been fun with all the sturdy gadgets in use such as the Mouth gag/mouth stretcher from the 1930's that look mean and muscular like a saw.
6. Perhaps the funniest of all is the anti-masturbation codpiece, which has a bronze case shaped like the male genital organ that would help you to get over the temptation of reaching out to it! You won't do it if you put this bronze thing in your pants!
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Star Kourtney Kardashian Blamed For Khloe's Weight Gain Through Social Media Messages
- Peter Quillin Claims That Adriana Lima Will Beat Gisele In The Boxing Ring; Adriana's Weight Loss Through Boxing and A Paleo Diet
- Caution to Diabetics: Artificial Sweeteners May Increase Blood Sugar Levels Based on Study
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Middleton's Morning Sickness Could Cause Risk Of Miscarriage[Watch Video]
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- Australian Liberals Urge Expat Kiwis To Favour John Key In New Zealand Election