Scary Old School Surgical Tools That Will Freak You Out
By Usha Hari | August 21, 2014 3:13 PM EST
Anybody would cringe at the mere thought of all those strange and scary clinical aides and probes that are used to examine patients in a doctor's surgery room. Apparently, in the past it used to be a lot scarier. A quick glance through some of the creepy vintage medical devices that were in use in the past is all it takes to make you feel relieved for being born in a relative modern era.
Here are some absurd medical gadgets that were in use in the yore:
1. The ice cube mask, which includes large chunks of ice kept on the face was supposed to be effective for hangovers. Could it be an ice bucket challenge of sorts for the patients?
2. The Portable respirator for polio with huge pipes and a heavy design that is fastened to the patient surely would have made them like a robot or someone on a space mission. It is not sure whether anyone could have cured of polio, by getting strapped to this machine?
3. French 16th century bullet extractor that looked more like an ornate sword rather than a high precision surgical tool could still get the bullets out of the patients. The screw tip is inserted into the wound to pierce the bullet so that it can be pulled out!
4. If you thought nose sculpting and rhinoplasty was something that only the modern people do, you could be in for a surprise. This device that is tightly strapped on to the nose to make it shapely would have surely hurt the beauty conscious wearer!
5. An appointment with the dentist might never have been fun with all the sturdy gadgets in use such as the Mouth gag/mouth stretcher from the 1930's that look mean and muscular like a saw.
6. Perhaps the funniest of all is the anti-masturbation codpiece, which has a bronze case shaped like the male genital organ that would help you to get over the temptation of reaching out to it! You won't do it if you put this bronze thing in your pants!
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports