Worm Pill Could Ease Autoimmune Disease Symptoms
By Usha Hari | August 21, 2014 3:05 PM EST
Experts believe that the peptides in parasitic worms could lead them to a probable treatment for various autoimmune diseases including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis and psoriasis. These diseases occur when the body's immune system start working against its own cells and tissues, often causing damage.
The exact cause of autoimmune diseases, which have become rampant in many parts of the world especially developed countries, is not yet fully known. However, this research study could identify specific peptides from parasitic worms that suppress the body's immune response, which may help them to invent a peptide drug to relieve symptoms of autoimmune diseases.
"There are more than eighty autoimmune diseases, ranging in severity from mild to life threatening in some cases. While some affect mainly one area or organ, others can affect many parts of the body," said lead researcher Professor Ray Norton from Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (MIPS) in the press release.
The immune system of the human body has to deal with fewer infections than the previous generations in the Western societies. Many believe that there is a relation between the rise in autoimmune diseases and an increased focus on cleanliness. It could be true considering the fact that though worm infections are nonexistent in developed countries there has been a high prevalence of autoimmune diseases in Western societies like Australia where one in every 20 persons suffer from autoimmune diseases.
The study conducted by Monash University published by the FASEB Journal has identified specific peptides from parasitic worms that suppress the body's immune response, which may help in the invention of drugs against different types of autoimmune diseases.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- Justin Bieber Strips for Fashion Week, Flashes Six Pack Abs: His Diet and Workout Secrets
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- Research Finds African Americans and Caribbean Blacks Experiencing Discrimination are at a Greater Risk for Mental Disorders
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet