Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 21, 2014 2:21 PM EST
World no. 3 Roger Federer expressed his delight in winning his 80th career title at the Cincinnati Masters on Sunday, defeating David Ferrer 6-3, 1-6, 6-2. The Swiss now proceeds to the final Grand Slam of the season after bagging his 16th win without a loss against Ferrer for over an 11-year period. Federer added his third title for the year to those he got in Halle and Dubai early in 2014.
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates winning the fourth set against Novak Djokovic of Serbia during their men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014.
Only Ivan Lendl with 94 titles and Jimmy Connors with 109 titles have more ATP titles than Federer, who now has 80 and Federer claimed that his victory isn't for the mantelpiece anymore but for his family.
One of the remarkable things about the Swiss tennis superstar is the fact that he can function as an elite tennis player at age 33 while leading a normal family life as his priority.
"I finally got a big trophy for the kids," he said on Sunday after taking home the Cincy title, according to The Guardian. "I've been bringing home some smaller ones. I keep telling them they are still trophies but this one should satisfy them."
Meanwhile, Federer has been seeded number 2 for the US Open with the reigning Wimbledon champion and world no. 1 Novak Djokovic as number one seed.
In the event that Federer and Djokovic reach the final of 2014 Grand Slam tournament, they would have a rematch at this year's Wimbledon Championships final, which was won by Djokovic in a five-set thriller.
Federer is seeded at the US Open for the 14th consecutive year, tying Ivan Lendl with only Jimmy Connors ahead of them for the longest streak in the Open Era. For the past four years, Djokovic reached the US Open final and won the title in 2011.
On the other hand, the current US Open champion Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the tournament due to a right wrist injury from practice.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date