'Minecraft' 1.8 Update Gets 2 More Snapshots 14w34d, 14w34c As New 'Minecraft' Mod Teaches Coding Skills
By Gel Galang | August 21, 2014 11:19 AM EST
Mojang has stated to fans that it will be releasing the last few batches of snapshots for the "Minecraft 1.8 Update" in time for a pre-release sometime this week.
Coders rest in the office of Mojang, a small Swedish company behind the wildly popular Minecraft video game, in Stockholm, in this January 21, 2013 file photo. A decade ago Sweden was one of the world's most taxed nations, but the government has since cut income taxes and abolished inheritance taxes. The government says the cuts as well as strong government finances have helped triple-A rated Sweden outpace much of European growth since the 2008 crisis. Swedes with jobs have seen their disposable income soar and startups like Mojang - creator of computer game Minecraft - have blossomed. But not everyone is benefiting equally. The share of people in Sweden who have less income than half the national median rose to 9 percent of the population in 2010, from 5 percent in 2004, according to the OECD. Promising no more cuts to welfare, Stefan Lofven is expected to win the September 2014 election with a centre-left coalition, ending eight years under a centre-right government.
But as last-minute releases, the developers have released two more snapshots, Snapshot 14w34c and 14w34d, which bring bug fixes and fixes for crashes.
The fixes are a pretty short list, which could be a hint that the pre-release will be well underway as scheduled.
As listed on the official Mojang website, here are the fixes for Snapshot 14w34c:
- Speeding up baby animal growth does not consume growth/breeding item
- Ender dragon experience drops are not affected by doMobLoot gamerule
- Item and XP drops are sucked towards the player's feet instead of their chest/torso
- Endermites spawn from thrown ender pearls even when doMobSpawning gamerule is false
- Creative Inventory screen causes fps drop
- Sponge absorbing bug
- Baby villagers display blocks on their head in the wrong location
- XPOrbs attracted to spectators
- Ladder, torch and redstone torch texture are darker.
- clone, fill, setblock leaving behind ghost entities
While these are the bugs found and fixed with Snapshot 14w34d:
- OS X: Ctrl modifier key instead of Cmd
- Ender Pearls and Beds
- Parts of enchanted Leather Armor when held don't Shimmer
- MobSpawner "MaximumNearbyEntity" Tag only has maximum range of 4 above and 4 below
- Chickens will not follow Melon seeds, Pumpkin seeds, or Nether Wart
- "Sprinting" While flying
- Slimes appear for 1/2 a second in Peacefull
- Race condition in linux fullscreen toggle
- Mobs do not spawn at the heights 16, 32, 48, 64, 80... (Multiples of 16)
- Bone meal used up when applying to fully grown crops
- Some items are missing pixels in 3D models
Apart from the latest "Minecraft" update, those who have been immersed in the game for quite a while would be happy to know that another skill may be borne from playing this game--coding skills.
Wired has gotten an exclusive interview with Stephen Foster, co-founder of ThoughtSTEM, the company responsible for the upcoming LearnToMod module that will debut on "Minecraft" in October.
According to the source, LearnToMod is a mod that aims to help kids learn how to write the code to create their own mods. One example of this lesson involves teaching kids to write a code for a special bow that can shoot arrows that will create portals between locations in the game.
"Kids are already spending ridiculous amounts of hours on 'Minecraft,'" Foster said to Wired. "So we thought this would be a good way to help them learn skills."
Currently, LearnToMod is being offered to 150 students as a test run, in the hopes of it becoming a possible way to make use of "Minecraft's" success towards pulling more kids into the art of computer programming.
The Guardian adds that LearnToMod will hit stores at the price of $30--a good trade-off for getting your kids to learn more than just gaming with "Minecraft."
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Android M OS Version Spotted At AOSP Before Android 5.0 L's Official Release Date
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Samsung Galaxy Alpha Will Be Available With AT&T From Sept 26, Unlocked Edition Priced At $612.99
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Smartwatches, Chunky Watches, Other Accessories And Tattoos
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?