'Minecraft' 1.8 Update Gets 2 More Snapshots 14w34d, 14w34c As New 'Minecraft' Mod Teaches Coding Skills
By Gel Galang | August 21, 2014 11:19 AM EST
Mojang has stated to fans that it will be releasing the last few batches of snapshots for the "Minecraft 1.8 Update" in time for a pre-release sometime this week.
Coders rest in the office of Mojang, a small Swedish company behind the wildly popular Minecraft video game, in Stockholm, in this January 21, 2013 file photo. A decade ago Sweden was one of the world's most taxed nations, but the government has since cut income taxes and abolished inheritance taxes. The government says the cuts as well as strong government finances have helped triple-A rated Sweden outpace much of European growth since the 2008 crisis. Swedes with jobs have seen their disposable income soar and startups like Mojang - creator of computer game Minecraft - have blossomed. But not everyone is benefiting equally. The share of people in Sweden who have less income than half the national median rose to 9 percent of the population in 2010, from 5 percent in 2004, according to the OECD. Promising no more cuts to welfare, Stefan Lofven is expected to win the September 2014 election with a centre-left coalition, ending eight years under a centre-right government.
But as last-minute releases, the developers have released two more snapshots, Snapshot 14w34c and 14w34d, which bring bug fixes and fixes for crashes.
The fixes are a pretty short list, which could be a hint that the pre-release will be well underway as scheduled.
As listed on the official Mojang website, here are the fixes for Snapshot 14w34c:
- Speeding up baby animal growth does not consume growth/breeding item
- Ender dragon experience drops are not affected by doMobLoot gamerule
- Item and XP drops are sucked towards the player's feet instead of their chest/torso
- Endermites spawn from thrown ender pearls even when doMobSpawning gamerule is false
- Creative Inventory screen causes fps drop
- Sponge absorbing bug
- Baby villagers display blocks on their head in the wrong location
- XPOrbs attracted to spectators
- Ladder, torch and redstone torch texture are darker.
- clone, fill, setblock leaving behind ghost entities
While these are the bugs found and fixed with Snapshot 14w34d:
- OS X: Ctrl modifier key instead of Cmd
- Ender Pearls and Beds
- Parts of enchanted Leather Armor when held don't Shimmer
- MobSpawner "MaximumNearbyEntity" Tag only has maximum range of 4 above and 4 below
- Chickens will not follow Melon seeds, Pumpkin seeds, or Nether Wart
- "Sprinting" While flying
- Slimes appear for 1/2 a second in Peacefull
- Race condition in linux fullscreen toggle
- Mobs do not spawn at the heights 16, 32, 48, 64, 80... (Multiples of 16)
- Bone meal used up when applying to fully grown crops
- Some items are missing pixels in 3D models
Apart from the latest "Minecraft" update, those who have been immersed in the game for quite a while would be happy to know that another skill may be borne from playing this game--coding skills.
Wired has gotten an exclusive interview with Stephen Foster, co-founder of ThoughtSTEM, the company responsible for the upcoming LearnToMod module that will debut on "Minecraft" in October.
According to the source, LearnToMod is a mod that aims to help kids learn how to write the code to create their own mods. One example of this lesson involves teaching kids to write a code for a special bow that can shoot arrows that will create portals between locations in the game.
"Kids are already spending ridiculous amounts of hours on 'Minecraft,'" Foster said to Wired. "So we thought this would be a good way to help them learn skills."
Currently, LearnToMod is being offered to 150 students as a test run, in the hopes of it becoming a possible way to make use of "Minecraft's" success towards pulling more kids into the art of computer programming.
The Guardian adds that LearnToMod will hit stores at the price of $30--a good trade-off for getting your kids to learn more than just gaming with "Minecraft."
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- How To Update LG Nexus 4 To Android 4.4.4 KitKat Using LiquidSmooth Custom ROM
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports