Cleveland Browns Chooses Brian Hoyer Over Johnny Manziel For Starting QB Slot
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 21, 2014 11:16 AM EST
The Cleveland Browns are going on the safe route and picked three-year veteran, Brian Hoyer, over rookie quarterback, Johnny Manziel for the starting quarterback slot in the upcoming National Football League season.
Aug 18, 2014; Landover, MD, USA; Washington Redskins quarterback Colt McCoy (16) shakes hands with Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel (2) after their game at FedEx Field. The Redskins won 24-23.
"He was the clear leader from the beginning," coach Mike Pettine said in a statement. "We have maintained all along that if it was close, I would prefer to go with the more experienced player. Brian has done a great job in the meeting rooms, with his teammates on the practice field and in the locker room."
According to ESPN, the final selection of the person to orchestrate the team's offense came doubly hard for Pettine as both players struggled during the pre-season. Hoyer got the nod during Monday's pre-season loss to the Washington Redskins, completing just two of six passes while Manziel got heavier exposure but disappointed with an outing that results to seven completed passes out of 16 tries, good for a touchdown and 65 yards. The Browns lost by a solitary point of 24-23.
The same game also hogged the headlines as the neophyte quarterback was caught on camera giving the middle finger to the Redskins bench as he was walking away at the end of the third quarter. Pettine commented that his young prodigy should have behaved maturely given that all eyes are fixed on him.
Hoyer was penciled in as the starter during the training camp and his season ending knee injury might have factored in to the hype of a rookie taking the job from him. While he did not do much to cement his spot, Manziel did not do anything extra-ordinary to take it away from him. Pettine lauds Hoyer's poise in handling the situation. The mentor bared that he used the pre-season games to develop cohesion and chemistry for the team.
The three-year veteran only has four starts on his resume but that is understandable given that his run last year was halted by a torn ACL against the Bill last October 3. Before the injury, Hoyer was already showing promise and leadership as he has led the team to two wins prior to the injury.
"I think a lot of people discount that," Pettine said. "Here is a guy coming off of a season-ending knee injury. Really, these are his first, essentially, 20-25 plays of live work back from it, and he is only going to get better."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR - Preview and Live Streaming Link
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Pope Francis Blasted For Defying Catholic Doctrine, Marries 20 Couples Who Have Cohabited And Had Children In No Else But St Peter's Basilica