5 Pet Peeves Australians Have When Travelling by Plane
By Vanessa Doctor | August 21, 2014 10:00 AM EST
Just like any other person, Australians have their own set of pet peeves when travelling by plane. Many of these are quite common and understandable, but airlines can do better by knowing what irks most travellers, so they can at least spot a incoming conflict from a mile away. Other passengers can also prevent any sort of trouble by avoiding certain behaviours in-flight.
1. Uncomfortable seats or limited legroom
In a study conducted by TripAdvisor, which covered over 4,800 Australian participants, 70% indicated that they were annoyed by having small legroom and uncomfortable seats. People do not like the layout of some airplane seats, as it causes strain on their back and legs. While budget airlines are generally expected to be cramped compared to their premier counterparts, travellers still expect a minimum level of comfort when they are asked to sit through a trip for hours.
2. Boisterous and crying children
Parents should also look for ways to keep their children preoccupied during flights because a lot of Australians do not like crying babies or toddlers throwing tantrums. In a survey conducted by Expedia, passengers are equally annoyed by inattentive parents who think that others do not mind their kids' behaviour. If you are a travelling with children, be sure to always bring different forms of entertainment and prepare for expected discomforts beforehand.
3. Those who mess with their seats
Passengers do not like those who grab the backrest while standing up or whenever the plane experiences turbulence. More do not like it when the one sitting in front of them fully reclines his backrest. People should be more mindful of their backrests since some planes have been readjusted. Fully reclining the seat may occupy too much space behind you.
4. Chatty seatmates
Many Australian passengers preferred sleeping or reading a book while riding on a plane. They do not enjoy chatting with complete strangers. Passengers generally do not mind talking for a few moments before takeoff, but prefer to keep to themselves after.
5. Stinky passengers
A survey was conducted via Escape.com.au to determine the pet peeves of Australian passengers while travelling by plane and many reported that they were very annoyed by those who sit beside them with bad hygiene. It will be best to skip the curry, take a bath or brush your teeth when you're about to go on long flights.
Other pet peeves of Australian travellers include bad service by the flight crew, passengers who frequently go to the bathroom, passengers who open the cabin window so the sunlight directly hits his seatmate, passengers who snore, overly romantic passengers and passengers who look as if they are carrying a contagious disease.
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- What Quinoa Is And Why It's Good For Weight Loss
- Home Flu Test Kit Available Soon
- Preterm Birth Complications Outranks Leading Causes Of Death In Young Children
- Bird Flu Update: European Union Commission Enforces Curbs On Poultry : UK Says It Is At Low Risk
- New Zealand Study Finds Link Between Low Credit Scores and Poor Health
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary