New Zealand Man Survives After a Meat Hook 'Caught' His Head
By Reissa Su | August 21, 2014 9:47 AM EST
A man in New Zealand has survived after his head was impaled by a meat hook in a meat plant at Bay of Plenty. An ambulance with paramedics was called in response to the emergency. According to ambulance spokesman Norm Ngatai, a spreader or meat hook has "caught" a man in his 40s through the back of the head into his face.
REUTERS/Jorge Dan Lopez
A man uses a knife to strip meat off a cow's skull in the "Cholojeros" zone next to the railway lines at Zona 18, in Guatemala City, May 6, 2014.
The man was rushed to Tauranga Hospital. A hospital spokesperson told reporters the man was in a "horrifying" situation. The man was still standing with the hook on his head for 90 minutes as emergency responders worked to free him.
Since the man was in a delicate condition, emergency staff had arranged a conference call with the clinical support desk and their medical adviser. They also sought the help of the crew at the scene. The ambulance spokesperson said the plan was to remove the man from the meat hook without risking his life.
After the plan was executed, the man was finally able to free his head from the meat hook. Ngatai said, the man remained conscious throughout the process. The ambulance staff had "numbed" him enough, so he can free himself.
Ivon Pilcher, a Te Puke volunteer fire brigade officer, said the hook went through his head via his ear and came out near his eye. The meat hook was stuck between his cheek muscle and skull bone. Despite his serious predicament, the man was in a "jovial mood."
Emergency responders said they were not sure how the man happened to get himself "hooked" but other people in the vicinity believed he was just standing when the incident occurred.
According to reports, Worksafe New Zealand will be investigating the incident. The Affco meat works plant in Paengaroa had declined to comment on the incident. However, a spokesperson for the company's corporate office said it will be conducting its own probe.
Reports said the man is now in a stable condition after doctors treated his injuries.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS