U.S. Pizza to Launch Sauces Laced with Marijuana
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | August 21, 2014 9:42 AM EST
Another thing for pizza lovers to try. Pennsylvania-based Unique Pizza and Subs is gearing to launch an original pizza sauce recipe to its patrons, one that is laced with marijuana.
A marijuana plant is seen at Tweed Marijuana Inc in Smith's Falls, Ontario, March 19, 2014. By unlocking the once-obscure medical marijuana market, Canada has created a fast-growing, profitable and federally regulated industry with a distinct appeal to the more daring global investor. About a dozen producers of the drug will find themselves in the spotlight this year as they consider going public or prepare to so through share sales or reverse takeovers to capitalize on recent regulatory changes, investment bankers said. Tweed Marijuana Inc, which converted an old chocolate factory into a marijuana farm, led the pack by becoming the first publicly held Canadian company in the sector. Picture taken March 19, 2014.
The concoction, however, will only be offered to states in the U.S. that have legalized marijuana.
Founded in 1991 and formerly known as Coastal Services Group, the pizza chain said in a statement that the new sauce offering is being worked out with "marijuana infusion chefs" in Colorado.
It also aims to create pre-made frozen pizzas made with marijuana-infused sauce.
Unique Pizza and Subs said licensed marijuana infused product manufacturers in each state will be given a proprietary base sauce so they can locally manufacture the finished cannabis-infused sauce.
"When I started to develop Unique Pizza 20 plus years ago, my main objective was to sustain an industry leading superior product," James Vowler, Unique Pizza and Subs President & CEO, said in a statement. "My second objective was to always lead the pizza industry with new creative ideas and concepts. With the development of our signature line of exceptional quality frozen pizzas and the cannabis-infused custom sauce, we will continue to lead our industry in innovative product design."
Unique Pizza and Subs could distribute the food items in states like Colorado and Washington, where recreational use of pot is legal, as well as in California, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Nevada, where medical use of marijuana is legal.
In the U.S., marijuana is its third most popular recreational drug, next to alcohol and tobacco, and has been used by nearly 100 million Americans.
Data gathered by NORML Foundation showed that in 2013, at least 25 million Americans have smoked marijuana, with over 14 million doing it regularly despite harsh laws preventing its use.
Cannabis foods, meantime, are food items made with cannabis. More informally known as edibles, they are eaten more to experience the effects of cannabinoids without smoking or vaporizing the weed. The cannabinoids are put into cake, cookie, brownie, or other foods, and are consumed for recreational or medicinal purposes.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions