ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
By Reissa Su | August 21, 2014 9:38 AM EST
The horrific beheading of American journalist James Foley has sparked worldwide outrage. The video of his beheading was uploaded by Islamic State militants on social media as a warning to U.S. forces to stay out of Iraq.
A masked Islamic State militant holding a knife speaks next to man purported to be U.S. journalist James Foley at an unknown location in this still image from an undated video posted on a social media website.
British Shadow Foreign Secretary Douglas Alexander said it was "particularly concerning" that Foley's beheading was carried out by a British national. In a statement, Alexander declared the gruesome footage of the journalist's beheading has "shocked and outraged" the world.
According to reports, ISIS' terror campaign is threatening to expand in Iraq and nearby regions. The possibility of sending British troops to Iraq has been ruled out by the Foreign Secretary. The UK government has continued its humanitarian effort in Iraq and aid Kurdish forces in making sure they have the equipment to fight the Islamic militants.
The British Prime Minister David Cameron reacted to the beheading on Twitter and said Foley's murder was "shocking and depraved."
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has revealed that more than 6,000 men have joined ISIS in July. The UK-based organisation said most of the new recruits came from Syria but 1,200 were from other countries. Mr Cameron has cut his holiday with the family short to chair meetings regarding the Iraq/Syria situation.
Political analysts believe ISIS appears to be "baiting the U.S." and challenging President Barack Obama to intervene in Iraq. Other observers said the terror group's intention may be likely to spread fear and take advantage of the attention it will get from the video's release.
About 20 journalists are currently missing in Syria, according to U.S.-based Committee to Protect Journalists. Committee chairman Sandra Mims Rowe has condemned the beheading of Foley. She expressed her sympathies for the journalist's family.
Netizens on social media, especially U.S. citizens on Facebook and Twitter, have clamoured for ISIS blood and urged the U.S. government to start an all-out war against the group. Some online users who have watched the video felt "sickened" and demanded to "wipe out" ISIS for good.
ISIS has previously warned that it will not hesitate to attack Americans if U.S. airstrikes will kill any of its members. U.S. Central Command said at least 14 airstrikes were launched last August 17 that resulted in the destruction of ISIS vehicles including one of the militants' checkpoints. ISIS has vowed to "drown" America in blood in a 45-second video meant to sow fear in the U.S.
In a recent speech, Mr Obama condemned the beheading of Foley and declared that ISIS is a "cancer" to society. He vowed that the country will do what is "just" for Americans who will be hurt anywhere. He said he will not be swayed in the resolve to bring the Islamic Militants to justice. Mr Obama called Foley's family to express his condolences.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS