Spanish Super Cup First Leg Result: Real Madrid 1-1 Atletico Madrid
By Christine Jane Caparras | August 21, 2014 12:55 AM EST
The first leg of the Spanish Super Cup has been concluded at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in Madrid and after full time, neither one of the teams are any closer to raising the trophy. The match ended in a 1-1 draw between bitter city rivals Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid. The second leg at the other end of the city, at the Vicente Calderon Stadium will determine who will be raising the trophy this season.
Colombia's soccer player James Rodriguez controls the ball during his presentation at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, July 22, 2014. Real Madrid have signed Rodriguez from Monaco on a six-year contract, the La Liga club said on Tuesday. The World Cup's Golden Boot winner with six goals is Real's second major signing of the transfer window after Germany midfielder Toni Kroos from Bayern Munich. No details of the fee for Rodriguez were disclosed but media reports said it was around 80 million euros ($107.9 million).
The Spanish Super Cup is played between the winners of last season's Spanish Primera Liga Winners (Atlético Madrid) and last season's Copa del Rey Winners (Real Madrid). The Super Cup is to be played out in two legs with a home and away format. The first leg was held in Real Madrid's home stadium, the Santiago Barnabeu last night, August 19. The second leg will be played on Friday, August 22 at Atlético's home stadium, the Vicente Calderon.
The first leg ended in a 1-1 draw with late goals coming first from Real Madrid's new star signing James Rodriguez and Atlético's Raul Garcia. James scored in the 81st minute and with only 9 minutes left in regulation time, Real Madrid were unable to hold on to their lead. The Whites conceded a goal seven minutes later to end the match in a draw leaving the contest wide open for the return leg in three days' time.
The Spanish Super Cup marks the opening of Spain's 2014-2015 season and both of the competing teams are looking forward to more silverware after ending the previous season on a high. Atlético Madrid prevailed in the Primera Liga managing to oust both Real Madrid and FC Barcelona from the top spot for the first time in ten seasons. They are gunning for only their second Super Cup in the history of the club having won it previously in 1951.
Real Madrid meanwhile, are also looking to expand their trophy room after having already won the UEFA Super Cup last week against Sevilla. Real qualified for the Super Cup after winning their tenth Uefa Champions League Trophy last May. The Spanish giants are gunning for their tenth Super Cup title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed