James Rodriguez Scores His First Goal For Real Madrid
By Christine Jane Caparras | August 21, 2014 12:06 AM EST
Colombian wonder boy James Rodriguez finally chalked up his first goal for Spanish giants Real Madrid in the opening leg of the Spanish Super Cup clash between his club and La Liga Champions Atlético Madrid. James opened up the scoring to put his team ahead but their city rivals quickly equalised ending the game at 1-1.
Colombia's soccer player James Rodriguez controls the ball during his presentation at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, July 22, 2014. Real Madrid have signed Rodriguez from Monaco on a six-year contract, the La Liga club said on Tuesday. The World Cup's Golden Boot winner with six goals is Real's second major signing of the transfer window after Germany midfielder Toni Kroos from Bayern Munich. No details of the fee for Rodriguez were disclosed but media reports said it was around 80 million euros ($107.9 million).
James now wears the Real Madrid number 10 jersey after coming in from a lucrative transfer deal from AS Monaco during the summer break. He is now part of one of the most formidable front lines in football. The already threatening Madrid offensive line boasts the likes of FIFA World Footballer of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo and Welsh star Gareth Bale. French International Karim Benzema joins the force in front while the likes of Xabi Alonso and Germany's Toni Kroos lend support from the mid-field.
The match however, did not start with James as Carlo Ancelotti opted to keep him in the bench and field Karim Benzema at the front, flanked by Cristiano Ronaldo and Bale, the set-up which has worked well for Madrid in the previous season. Atlético, now missing their firecracker Diego Costa, put up an impenetrable wall of defence which Real's arrowhead failed to pierce.
Neither team was able to make a significant attack in the first half and Ancelotti made the decision to stir things up. James was brought in after the break in place of Cristiano Ronaldo. After having led possession in the first half, Real continued to push forward and it was Gareth Bale who made the first attempt on target but was denied by Moya. Carvajal, Rams and Kroos all threatened the Atlético goal as well but it was James who finally broke through in the 81st minute.
Less than nine minutes remained in regulation time but Real Madrid were unable to hold on to their lead. Atlético were quick to take advantage of every opportunity and a corner led to Raul Garcia's goal with two minutes left.
Stoppage time didn't result in any significant changes and the first leg was concluded with a draw. The Spanish Super Cup will be decided on Friday, August 22, 2014 at the Vicente Calderon Stadium. It remains to be seen if the celebrations will occur at the Cibeles fountain for Real or at the Neptuno for Atlético both in the Spanish Capital.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues