Transfer News: Bayern Munich to Join Man Utd in Race for Mehdi Benatia's Signature, Hints Club Legend
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 20, 2014 6:05 PM EST
Bayern Munich legend Karl-Heinz Rummenigge hinted that the Bavarian outfit will be joining Manchester United in the race to secure the signature of AS Roma defender Mehdi Benatia.
Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
AS Roma defender Medhi Benatia (17) heads the ball away from Real Madrid midfielder Alvaro Medran during the game at Cotton Bowl Stadium.
The Morocco international has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford in recent days, but a tough conundrum might be coming his way as the Bundesliga giants can offer him Champions League football.
"We're not going to say anything because, if in doubt, that could only make the player more expensive,"said the 58-year-old Lippstadt native.
"If we do do anything on the transfer market, then it will all depend on the quality and the price."
Benatia, 27, was a key fixture at Udinese for three terms before solidifying his status as one of the top centre-backs in Europe at the Stadio Olimpico last season.
He helped the Giallorossi to a second-place finish in the Serie A, making them qualify for Europe's top-tier competition, but more than that, he was rock-solid at the back, allowing only 19 goals against his side during his 34 starts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho