Transfer News: Real Madrid Gets Boost in Landing 'Disappointed' Petr Cech as Mourinho Hands Starting Job to Courtois
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 20, 2014 4:44 PM EST
Real Madrid's chances of landing unsettled Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech is given a boost as Jose Mourinho opts to hand the no. 1 spot to Thibaut Courtois.
Chelsea's manager Jose Mourinho applauds after their English Premier League soccer match against Burnley at Turf Moor in Burnley, northern England August 18, 2014.
The Los Blancos are still in search for a tried-and-tested shot-stopper despite successfully signing Costa Rica's World Cup star Keylor Navas, while last season's first-choice Diego Lopez chose to move away from the Spanish capital.
"Obviously a goalkeeper is not a player you are changing match after match. You must give a bit of stability, but this is about performances," said the 51-year-old manager.
"We have to think about the future of the club and I made a decision to give the goal to Courtois."
Cech has been with the Blues since 2004 and had experienced the same situation, only that he was obviously chosen over a more experienced competition.
"Ten years ago I had a very difficult decision to make when I had Carlo Cudicini giving fantastic performances in Chelsea's goal for many years," he added.
"This situation is similar."
"Petr was disappointed but football is sometimes like this. Players can often be unhappy with managers."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch