Dog Elected Mayor In Minnesota
By Usha Hari | August 20, 2014 3:53 PM EST
Dog is indeed man's best friend! Cormorant, a small town in Minnesota elected a 7-year-old dog named Duke as the mayor when the 12 residents of the town paid one dollar each to cast their vote.
Jenson, a Boxer dog rests in his stall on the first day of the Crufts dog show in Birmingham, central England, March 11, 2010.
The canine contester won by a huge margin, beating Richard Sherbrook, the human candidate pitched against the dog in the race for mayorship. Richard who owns a store in Cormorant could not garner even half as many votes as this Great Pyrenees dog, which will be the mayor for one year. No prizes for guessing his salary - It is a year's worth of kibble. A local pet food store donated the kibble.
Duke was announced the winner after an exciting five-week election. Voters are only happy for voting Duke to mayorship as they feel he will safeguard their home town and the community and even ensures speed limit for cars.
In spite of Duke not being a human or having an electoral campaign, his election proves that he is more popular than any of the other residents of this village.
"He won by a landslide. He doesn't know how to handle this publicity," resident Tricia Maloney told WDAY6. After his landmark victory, Duke was given a treat of five hours of grooming and a brand new outfit.
Duke's appointment comes after the 5-year-old Robert Tufts stepped down from his role as mayor after two years in office in the Dorset town in Minnesota. His place was taken by the 16-year-old Eric Mueller.
This is not the first time that a non human has been elected to the higher offices. Stubbs the cat, for instance has been holding the post of the honorary mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, for the past 17 years! This tiny village selected this cat soon after it was born after a successful write-in campaign. This popular feline mayor even escaped an attempt on its life in the year 2013 when a local dog attacked it.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports