Top UFO Sightings Ever [Watch Videos]
By Afza Fathima | August 20, 2014 3:29 PM EST
With the most recent so-called UFO sighting that happened at Houston, take a closer look at the top UFO sightings that have happened in the past.
In Lubbock, Texas, according to the Public Domain, reports of mysterious luminous lights forming a V-shape arose. Three professors from Texas Technological College claimed that 20-30 lights that seemed like stars crossed the sky, and then a V-shaped formation followed. Apart from these professors a lot of others also saw these mysterious lights and a local Texal Tech freshman, Carl Hart Jr., also captured a picture.
A Perseid meteor streaks towards the horizon during the annual Persied meteor shower in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, August 12, 2008. Perseids meteors are bits of debris left by the comet Swift-Tuttle which burn up in the Earth's atmosphere.
The official explanation that came in from the Air Force was that they were migratory birds called plovers travelling at a speed of 600 mp and that the newly installed street lamps reflected the light of the birds bellies.
YouTube/ Open Minds Production
Witnesses claimed that they saw green fireballs in the skies of New Mexico between December 1948 and April 1955. Meteor expert, Dr. Lincoln LaPaz, said that they were not meteors as they moved too slowly and didn't break apart.. He was sent by the government to investigate.
Battle of Los Angeles
On February 24, 1942, a complete blackout was ordered throughout the Los Angeles County as people claimed that there was a UFO in the sky above their city, and they had photos to prove it.
Later, a press conference was held by Secretary of the Navy, Frank Knox, who said that it was a false alarm and was a meteorological balloon.
Belgium UFO Wave
More than ten thousand people witnessed a mysterious triangular object with a shimmer in the skies of Belgium between November 1989 and April 1990. It was also spotted by a NATO radar station and it was claimed to be a UFO, though it didn't respond to any hails. The mysterious object, pilots of Belgium F-16 fighter jets claimed, moved fast, accelerating from 60 mph to 500 mph. Skeptics claim that it was just a helicopter or a mass delusion.
On June 30, 1908, witnesses said that they saw a blue-ish light streaking through the skies of Russia. A little later, an explosion took place in what is now Krasnoyarsk Krai, flattening 80 million trees.
The first explanation about this light was that it was a meteor impact. Currenty, most researchers claim that it was the burst of an air burst of an asteroid or a comet with a high concentration of deuterium while some others suggest that it is a miniature black hole.
YouTube/ Carl Sagan's COSMOS
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family