2014 Miss Universe: Meet Tegan Martin, Miss Universe Australia
By Riza Ornos | August 20, 2014 1:55 PM EST
An annual beauty pageant, Miss Universe Australia recently hailed Tegan Martin as the new beauty queen to represent the country for the upcoming Miss Universe 2014. Her third time to join the prestigious contest, the 21-year-old model came runner-up in last year's pageant and attracted a lot of attention due to her weight.
A former hairdresser who was crowned Miss Universe Australia on June 6, the third time participant grew up in Jewell, Newcastle and attended St. Joseph's Primary School Charlestown and St. Mary's High School Gateshead. Tegan left school to become a full-time hairdresser apprentice at Pandora's Hair Witchery and has been living in Sydney for her modelling career.
Currently studying Bachelor of Health and Science, the certified hair and make-up artist bagged the crown and bested various contestants from all over the country at the Sofitel hotel in Melbourne. She finished First Runner-up in the 2011 pageant and finished the same place in the 2013 pageant won by Olivia Wells who represented Australia at Miss Universe 2013 in Moscow, Russia.
Sharing the same hometown with former Miss Universe Jennifer Hawkins, the newly-crowned beauty queen has a striking resemblance with Hawkins and also suffered a wardrobe malfunction. With the weight concerns all behind her, Martin is currently promoting healthy body and lifestyle for young girls who are aspiring to become a beauty queen someday.
"I think last year it was more the stress that got to me,'' said Tegan in an interview. "I lost a lot of weight the last week, the preparation week, it wasn't something I did on purpose. I think this year I've been so much more relaxed, I know how the competition is going to work."
Photographed recently in an ice-skating rink at Bondi Beach, the Boohoo clad Martin had a cheeky moment when the wind blew her mini dress and exposed her behind despite wearing underwear. She was promoting an online fashion website, Booho.com, wearing a cropped embellished jacket to keep her warm.
"I'm happy and healthy in my own skin, and I think it's really important that I now become a role model for young girls to not to feel pressured to confirm to unrealistic sizes," revealed the blond model.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1