2014 Miss Universe: Meet Tegan Martin, Miss Universe Australia
By Riza Ornos | August 20, 2014 1:55 PM EST
An annual beauty pageant, Miss Universe Australia recently hailed Tegan Martin as the new beauty queen to represent the country for the upcoming Miss Universe 2014. Her third time to join the prestigious contest, the 21-year-old model came runner-up in last year's pageant and attracted a lot of attention due to her weight.
A former hairdresser who was crowned Miss Universe Australia on June 6, the third time participant grew up in Jewell, Newcastle and attended St. Joseph's Primary School Charlestown and St. Mary's High School Gateshead. Tegan left school to become a full-time hairdresser apprentice at Pandora's Hair Witchery and has been living in Sydney for her modelling career.
Currently studying Bachelor of Health and Science, the certified hair and make-up artist bagged the crown and bested various contestants from all over the country at the Sofitel hotel in Melbourne. She finished First Runner-up in the 2011 pageant and finished the same place in the 2013 pageant won by Olivia Wells who represented Australia at Miss Universe 2013 in Moscow, Russia.
Sharing the same hometown with former Miss Universe Jennifer Hawkins, the newly-crowned beauty queen has a striking resemblance with Hawkins and also suffered a wardrobe malfunction. With the weight concerns all behind her, Martin is currently promoting healthy body and lifestyle for young girls who are aspiring to become a beauty queen someday.
"I think last year it was more the stress that got to me,'' said Tegan in an interview. "I lost a lot of weight the last week, the preparation week, it wasn't something I did on purpose. I think this year I've been so much more relaxed, I know how the competition is going to work."
Photographed recently in an ice-skating rink at Bondi Beach, the Boohoo clad Martin had a cheeky moment when the wind blew her mini dress and exposed her behind despite wearing underwear. She was promoting an online fashion website, Booho.com, wearing a cropped embellished jacket to keep her warm.
"I'm happy and healthy in my own skin, and I think it's really important that I now become a role model for young girls to not to feel pressured to confirm to unrealistic sizes," revealed the blond model.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks