2014 Miss Universe: Meet Tegan Martin, Miss Universe Australia
By Riza Ornos | August 20, 2014 1:55 PM EST
An annual beauty pageant, Miss Universe Australia recently hailed Tegan Martin as the new beauty queen to represent the country for the upcoming Miss Universe 2014. Her third time to join the prestigious contest, the 21-year-old model came runner-up in last year's pageant and attracted a lot of attention due to her weight.
A former hairdresser who was crowned Miss Universe Australia on June 6, the third time participant grew up in Jewell, Newcastle and attended St. Joseph's Primary School Charlestown and St. Mary's High School Gateshead. Tegan left school to become a full-time hairdresser apprentice at Pandora's Hair Witchery and has been living in Sydney for her modelling career.
Currently studying Bachelor of Health and Science, the certified hair and make-up artist bagged the crown and bested various contestants from all over the country at the Sofitel hotel in Melbourne. She finished First Runner-up in the 2011 pageant and finished the same place in the 2013 pageant won by Olivia Wells who represented Australia at Miss Universe 2013 in Moscow, Russia.
Sharing the same hometown with former Miss Universe Jennifer Hawkins, the newly-crowned beauty queen has a striking resemblance with Hawkins and also suffered a wardrobe malfunction. With the weight concerns all behind her, Martin is currently promoting healthy body and lifestyle for young girls who are aspiring to become a beauty queen someday.
"I think last year it was more the stress that got to me,'' said Tegan in an interview. "I lost a lot of weight the last week, the preparation week, it wasn't something I did on purpose. I think this year I've been so much more relaxed, I know how the competition is going to work."
Photographed recently in an ice-skating rink at Bondi Beach, the Boohoo clad Martin had a cheeky moment when the wind blew her mini dress and exposed her behind despite wearing underwear. She was promoting an online fashion website, Booho.com, wearing a cropped embellished jacket to keep her warm.
"I'm happy and healthy in my own skin, and I think it's really important that I now become a role model for young girls to not to feel pressured to confirm to unrealistic sizes," revealed the blond model.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates