2014 Miss Universe: Meet Tegan Martin, Miss Universe Australia
By Riza Ornos | August 20, 2014 1:55 PM EST
An annual beauty pageant, Miss Universe Australia recently hailed Tegan Martin as the new beauty queen to represent the country for the upcoming Miss Universe 2014. Her third time to join the prestigious contest, the 21-year-old model came runner-up in last year's pageant and attracted a lot of attention due to her weight.
A former hairdresser who was crowned Miss Universe Australia on June 6, the third time participant grew up in Jewell, Newcastle and attended St. Joseph's Primary School Charlestown and St. Mary's High School Gateshead. Tegan left school to become a full-time hairdresser apprentice at Pandora's Hair Witchery and has been living in Sydney for her modelling career.
Currently studying Bachelor of Health and Science, the certified hair and make-up artist bagged the crown and bested various contestants from all over the country at the Sofitel hotel in Melbourne. She finished First Runner-up in the 2011 pageant and finished the same place in the 2013 pageant won by Olivia Wells who represented Australia at Miss Universe 2013 in Moscow, Russia.
Sharing the same hometown with former Miss Universe Jennifer Hawkins, the newly-crowned beauty queen has a striking resemblance with Hawkins and also suffered a wardrobe malfunction. With the weight concerns all behind her, Martin is currently promoting healthy body and lifestyle for young girls who are aspiring to become a beauty queen someday.
"I think last year it was more the stress that got to me,'' said Tegan in an interview. "I lost a lot of weight the last week, the preparation week, it wasn't something I did on purpose. I think this year I've been so much more relaxed, I know how the competition is going to work."
Photographed recently in an ice-skating rink at Bondi Beach, the Boohoo clad Martin had a cheeky moment when the wind blew her mini dress and exposed her behind despite wearing underwear. She was promoting an online fashion website, Booho.com, wearing a cropped embellished jacket to keep her warm.
"I'm happy and healthy in my own skin, and I think it's really important that I now become a role model for young girls to not to feel pressured to confirm to unrealistic sizes," revealed the blond model.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28