2014 US Open Betting Odds: Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic Pegged to Win the Title in New York
By James Patrick Quizon | August 20, 2014 1:48 PM EST
Thanks to a right wrist injury of defending champion Rafael Nadal, two other top-ranked and top contenders, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer are now considered the top favourites to rule the 2014 US Open in Flushing Meadows, Queens in New York.
Roger Federer of Switzerland (L) and Novak Djokovic of Serbia pose for a photograph before their men's singles final tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 6, 2014.
The world no. 1 and no. 3 in Djokovic and Federer, respectively are not surprisingly the top seeds in the final Grand Slam tennis tournament of the ATP season owing to Nadal’s pull out. It is only fitting that they are also the sportsbooks’ best bets and are giving them the best chances of winning the crown.
Spain’s Nadal bagged the 2013 US Open title winning over Djokovic in the championship round in just four sets, 6–2, 3–6, 6–4, 6–1.
The Clear Favourites – Djokovic and Federer
Djokovic is priced at 2.25 to win the title owing to his success the last few years in this Grand Slam tournament. However, he has come up short in most of his efforts; Djokovic made the championship round four consecutive times but has only won once in this stretch.
The 27-year-old Serbian failed to add Grand Slam tennis hardware in 2010 when he lost to Nadal, 4–6, 7–5, 4–6, 2–6; in 2012 when he lost to Andy Murray, 6–7 (10), 5–7, 6–2, 6–3, 2–6; and in 2013 when he lost again to Nadal, 2–6, 6–3, 4–6, 1–6.
Djokovic is looking for his eighth Grand Slam title overall—with multiple hauls at the Australian Open (2008, 2011, 2012 and 2013) and the Wimbledon Championships (2011 and 2014) and only one victory at the US Open in 2011 when he beat Nadal, 6–2, 6–4, 6–7 (3), 6–1.
Meanwhile, Federer has betting odds of 4.33 to win the championship in New York. Historically, Federer is very successful at the US Open with consecutive titles from 2004 to 2008. However, the past four years have been tough even for the Swiss Maestro winning only one Majors title (2012 Wimbledon Championships) and never reaching the finals in New York since 2009 when he lost to Argentina’s Juan Martin Del Potro, 6–3, 6–7 (5), 6–4, 6–7 (4), 2–6.
Federer is aiming for his 18th Grand Slam title overall. The Swiss already has the record for most Majors title in tennis history but he wants to create some more distance over legend Pete Sampras and current active player and rival Nadal, both of whom have 14 Grand Slam titles under their belts.
The Dark Horse Contenders
Still, there are up-and-coming stars that are looking to serve the upset against Federer or Djokovic, or perhaps, even pull the rug underneath both on the way to the US Open title. Names like Murray, Stanislas Wawrinka and Grigor Dimitrov are thrown around as constant threats to break-in to the top and wildcards like Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Nick Kyrgios and Gael Monfils are very unpredictable but has the talent to oust the top players.
Since 2004, only two players not named Federer, Djokovic and Nadal have managed to win the Grand Slam in New York-- Del Potro in 2009 and Murray in 2012. Can anyone duplicate what the British and Argentine has done against tennis’ “Big Three”?
Odds to Win 2014 US Open
Novak Djokovic (2.25)
Roger Federer (4.33)
Andy Murray (5.50)
Stanislas Wawrinka (15.00)
Grigor Dimitrov (17.00)
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (21.00
Milos Raonic (26.00
Tomas Berdych (51.00)
Kei Nishikori (51.00)
Ernests Gulbis (67.00)
David Ferrer (67.00)
John Isner (101.00)
Marin Cilic (101.00)
Nick Kyrgios (101.00)
Gael Monfils (151.00)
Can anyone beat the favourites in Djokovic and Federer at the 2014 US Open? The Grand Slam in New York begins play Aug. 25 and the new US Open champion will be crowned on Sept. 8.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]