Gloria Estefan and Husband Emilio's Success Story to be Turned Into a Musical 'On Your Feet'
By nidhi tewari | August 20, 2014 1:44 PM EST
Seven times Grammy Award winner singer Gloria Estefan is getting her own musical that will depict her life's journey from her home town in Cuba to her present life in Miami as one of the most successful pop singers of all times. Titled "On Your Feet," the stage show is expected to make its debut at Chicago's Oriental Theatre in Illinois next year.
The musical will be directed by Jerry Mitchell while the dance sequences will be directed by choreographer Sergio Trujillo. Director Mitchell is a two-time Tony award winner while Trujillo is better known for his work in another successful Broadway hit "Jersey Boys."
"On Your Feet" will also tell the story of Gloria's equally successful husband Emilio Estefan. The 61-year-old Cuban American musician has won 19 Grammy Awards and plays a major role in shaping up Gloria's life. The musical will feature their victorious joint story as a couple.
Open casting calls for the star cast will be held in New York and Miami in September. Interested actors can apply online to appear in the musical by submitting their videos on this link, Playbill.com is reporting.
"Finding the right performers to tell our story on the Broadway stage is the most important step in this project," said Gloria Estefan in a statement, adding, "Our own journey together started in Miami, a city that has been such an inspiration to us both, and it only felt right that the city be a cornerstone of our search for the next generation of bright talent."
The 56-year-old musician said she and her husband are "very excited" to share their winning story which will have a mass appeal around the world. The husband and wife duo believe that they will be able to inspire the future generations with their story which is "based on hope, determination and the belief that with hard work and passion our dreams can become our reality."
"On Your Feet" will have its world-premiere at the Oriental Theatre in Chicago from June 2-July 5, 2015. Broadway run begins previews on Oct. 5, 2015 while the musical opens on Nov. 5, next year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report