Samsung News: Patent for Foldable Display and Leaked Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Specs Sighted
By Gel Galang | August 20, 2014 11:40 AM EST
After its reveal of the Samsung Galaxy Alpha and the awaited unveiling of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 sometime in September at the IFA in Berlin, the South Korean company does not seem to be stopping anytime when it comes to rolling out new devices.
A sales assistant checks Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S5 smartphones at a shop in Seoul July 29, 2014. South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co Ltd on Thursday reported a 24.6 percent fall in second-quarter operating profit, in line with guidance, due to disappointing returns from its smartphone business. Picture taken July 29, 2014. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji
Despite posting a decline in market shares, Samsung is still readily showcasing new devices coming out left and right, starting with the Samsung Galaxy Mega 2.
Samsung Galaxy Mega 2's Specs Leaked
Confirmation of the Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 nearing its inevitable unveiling to the public is all but assured as the first official firmware confirmation and specs have been spotted by SamMobile.
Receiving a tip from an anonymous insider, the Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 is allegedly called the "Vasta" internally, with the reported SM-G750F its supposed model number.
The report lists down what it knows so far regarding specs revealed, and these include the following:
- 5.99-inch Super AMOLED display with 1280x720 resolution
- 1.GHz Mali-400MP4 GPU with the Samsung Exynos 4 (Exynos 4415) SoC
- 12-megapixel camera with sensor and 30FPS video recording capability
- 8GB of memory and expandable memory with the microSD
- WiFi 802 11n, Wi-Fi direct, DLNA, hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0 and GPS connectivity
- Android 4.4.4 Kitkat
The Samsung Exynos 4415 was confirmed by checking out the firmware and build file of the alleged Samsung Galaxy Mega 2. Interestingly, the missing features are both fingerprint and heart rate sensors.
The awaited phablet remains an elusive device, but given the new leaks, it won't be a surprise if the IFA becomes a good venue to reveal it to the public.
Patent Spotted for Foldable Display
The possibility of flexible displays has mostly been limited to stylish bended display idea most of which are seen only in concept designs. But that does not mean that Samsung is not filing any patents for some of the most outrageous smartphone designs to date.
Samsung may be aiming for a foldable phone that can be folded to a standing position on a surface, so it can be transformed to the likes of an alarm clock or calendar, according to Patently Mobile.
As seen in the images in the link, the patent shows off the Samsung device as forming the flexible body of a smartphone, which could be embedded in the style of its existing smartphones. The folded shape of the smartphone can be maintained due to hinges in the body.
According to the source, the patent was published by the US Patent Office last week, though it had already been patented away back in February. Samsung has a practice of patenting ideas that do not necessarily come to fruition, so better take this as an unfounded idea as of the moment.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation