Samsung News: Patent for Foldable Display and Leaked Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Specs Sighted
By Gel Galang | August 20, 2014 11:40 AM EST
After its reveal of the Samsung Galaxy Alpha and the awaited unveiling of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 sometime in September at the IFA in Berlin, the South Korean company does not seem to be stopping anytime when it comes to rolling out new devices.
A sales assistant checks Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S5 smartphones at a shop in Seoul July 29, 2014. South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co Ltd on Thursday reported a 24.6 percent fall in second-quarter operating profit, in line with guidance, due to disappointing returns from its smartphone business. Picture taken July 29, 2014. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji
Despite posting a decline in market shares, Samsung is still readily showcasing new devices coming out left and right, starting with the Samsung Galaxy Mega 2.
Samsung Galaxy Mega 2's Specs Leaked
Confirmation of the Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 nearing its inevitable unveiling to the public is all but assured as the first official firmware confirmation and specs have been spotted by SamMobile.
Receiving a tip from an anonymous insider, the Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 is allegedly called the "Vasta" internally, with the reported SM-G750F its supposed model number.
The report lists down what it knows so far regarding specs revealed, and these include the following:
- 5.99-inch Super AMOLED display with 1280x720 resolution
- 1.GHz Mali-400MP4 GPU with the Samsung Exynos 4 (Exynos 4415) SoC
- 12-megapixel camera with sensor and 30FPS video recording capability
- 8GB of memory and expandable memory with the microSD
- WiFi 802 11n, Wi-Fi direct, DLNA, hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0 and GPS connectivity
- Android 4.4.4 Kitkat
The Samsung Exynos 4415 was confirmed by checking out the firmware and build file of the alleged Samsung Galaxy Mega 2. Interestingly, the missing features are both fingerprint and heart rate sensors.
The awaited phablet remains an elusive device, but given the new leaks, it won't be a surprise if the IFA becomes a good venue to reveal it to the public.
Patent Spotted for Foldable Display
The possibility of flexible displays has mostly been limited to stylish bended display idea most of which are seen only in concept designs. But that does not mean that Samsung is not filing any patents for some of the most outrageous smartphone designs to date.
Samsung may be aiming for a foldable phone that can be folded to a standing position on a surface, so it can be transformed to the likes of an alarm clock or calendar, according to Patently Mobile.
As seen in the images in the link, the patent shows off the Samsung device as forming the flexible body of a smartphone, which could be embedded in the style of its existing smartphones. The folded shape of the smartphone can be maintained due to hinges in the body.
According to the source, the patent was published by the US Patent Office last week, though it had already been patented away back in February. Samsung has a practice of patenting ideas that do not necessarily come to fruition, so better take this as an unfounded idea as of the moment.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage