Samsung News: Patent for Foldable Display and Leaked Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Specs Sighted
By Gel Galang | August 20, 2014 11:40 AM EST
After its reveal of the Samsung Galaxy Alpha and the awaited unveiling of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 sometime in September at the IFA in Berlin, the South Korean company does not seem to be stopping anytime when it comes to rolling out new devices.
A sales assistant checks Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S5 smartphones at a shop in Seoul July 29, 2014. South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co Ltd on Thursday reported a 24.6 percent fall in second-quarter operating profit, in line with guidance, due to disappointing returns from its smartphone business. Picture taken July 29, 2014. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji
Rise of the Tomb Raider’s Timed Xbox One Exclusivity Cleared as Fans Petition for Multiplatform Release
Sharp Aquos Crystal May Overtake Samsung, LG in True Bezel-Free Smartphone Battle with Sprint Announcement
Despite posting a decline in market shares, Samsung is still readily showcasing new devices coming out left and right, starting with the Samsung Galaxy Mega 2.
Samsung Galaxy Mega 2's Specs Leaked
Confirmation of the Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 nearing its inevitable unveiling to the public is all but assured as the first official firmware confirmation and specs have been spotted by SamMobile.
Receiving a tip from an anonymous insider, the Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 is allegedly called the "Vasta" internally, with the reported SM-G750F its supposed model number.
The report lists down what it knows so far regarding specs revealed, and these include the following:
- 5.99-inch Super AMOLED display with 1280x720 resolution
- 1.GHz Mali-400MP4 GPU with the Samsung Exynos 4 (Exynos 4415) SoC
- 12-megapixel camera with sensor and 30FPS video recording capability
- 8GB of memory and expandable memory with the microSD
- WiFi 802 11n, Wi-Fi direct, DLNA, hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0 and GPS connectivity
- Android 4.4.4 Kitkat
The Samsung Exynos 4415 was confirmed by checking out the firmware and build file of the alleged Samsung Galaxy Mega 2. Interestingly, the missing features are both fingerprint and heart rate sensors.
The awaited phablet remains an elusive device, but given the new leaks, it won't be a surprise if the IFA becomes a good venue to reveal it to the public.
Patent Spotted for Foldable Display
The possibility of flexible displays has mostly been limited to stylish bended display idea most of which are seen only in concept designs. But that does not mean that Samsung is not filing any patents for some of the most outrageous smartphone designs to date.
Samsung may be aiming for a foldable phone that can be folded to a standing position on a surface, so it can be transformed to the likes of an alarm clock or calendar, according to Patently Mobile.
As seen in the images in the link, the patent shows off the Samsung device as forming the flexible body of a smartphone, which could be embedded in the style of its existing smartphones. The folded shape of the smartphone can be maintained due to hinges in the body.
According to the source, the patent was published by the US Patent Office last week, though it had already been patented away back in February. Samsung has a practice of patenting ideas that do not necessarily come to fruition, so better take this as an unfounded idea as of the moment.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Dates Set To Hit 3 Areas As Early As September
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone