One Direction to Split, Simon Cowell Predicts
By Anne Lu | August 20, 2014 11:29 AM EST
One Direction are going to split in two years tops, Simon Cowell predicted.
The “X Factor” creator believes that the UK boyband will call it quits after a making couple of albums more, as expected of all boybands in the past.
Members of the music group One Direction (L-R) Louis Tomlinson, Niall Horan, Zayne Malik, Liam Payne and Harry Styles pose for photographers during a photocall for their film 'One Direction; This is Us' in London August 19 2013.
“Bands don’t stay together forever. I think they will make at least two more albums together and they are in the middle of one right one,” the 54-year-old music mogul told the Daily Star.
It won’t happen this year, though. Cowell thinks that Harry Styles, who has been touted as the lead singer of the group, will wait for a while before going solo.
“No, I don’t think that is going to happen for a while. Eventually I am sure they all will.”
Cowell was perhaps referring to other boybands in the past that have split after one of their most popular members decided to pursue a solo career.
Take That is a good example. The ‘90s English pop group had dominated charts and awards shows, but when Robbie Williams split in 1995, the four remaining members crumbled and split up as well a few months later.
If the One Direction boys are to split up after a few years, it would work out well for Cowell. He signed the boys through his Syco Records label, but it appears he is already grooming another boyband that will conquer tweens’ hearts.
In “The X Factor” UK, Cowell has put together eight solo acts to form a new all-male group, hoping that they will achieve the same success as One Direction.
“The boys were the strongest category by far at boot camp and it really hurt the judges to say goodbye to so much talent,” a source told The Sun. “In the end, they decided to make the extra boys into one big group. Between the eight of them they’ve got everything they need to be a success.”
And to be as successful as One Direction, the new group was told to find an identity they can all agree on to become friends.
“One Direction might have been manufactured, but it worked out because they were friends and they went in as equals and none of them have huge egos. This new band needs to find the same thing.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date