Canadian Teenager Stabbed to Death, 18-Year-Old Suspect Arrested
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 20, 2014 10:01 AM EST
A Canadian teenager was stabbed to death late on Monday, Aug 19.
Jesse Clarke, a Delta Secondary School student, was killed at around 10 pm in Steeltown. The 14-year-old old was allegedly killed by another teenager, 18. Officers of Hamilton Police found the lifeless body of Clarke after there had been a "disturbance" call in the Lincoln Avenue area. According to the official police statement, the officers "found a 14-year-old male suffering from a stab wound. The young male was taken to hospital by ambulance where he was pronounced dead."
Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair speaks at a news conference in Toronto, in this file photo from October 31, 2013. Blair has served Toronto city councillor Doug Ford with a defamation suit August 12, 2014 over comments Ford made about Blair.
Det. Sgt. Matt Kavanagh later said that officers were of aware of a group of young men fighting with another group. He said that the fight apparently went out of control as one of the young men was killed by the stabbing injuries he suffered. Clarke was pronounced dead after he had been rushed to hospital. Brodie Nicholls, suspected of being responsible for the murder, was also taken to hospital. The young man was treated for some minor wounds and later released from hospital.
Nicholls was produced in court on Tuesday as he faced a second degree murder charge. Even though Kavanagh said that the suspect had already been "known to police," Beth Bromberg - the defence lawyer - told CBC News that his client had no previous criminal record. She said that her client was a very young man, and things were much different from what it might seem to be, Bromberg said that she would certainly be defending the charges.
Nicholls wore a white coloured prison jumpsuit along with shackles when he appeared in court. There was a thick bruise visible on his neck. He hardly looked up during the court proceeding as he spoke softly when needed to. "It is also a terrible tragedy for the victim," Bromberg said as Nicholls was detained in custody. He is scheduled to reappear in court on Sept 2.
Clarke's friends gathered to post memorials near the spot where he had been killed. They were seen exchanging hugs and mourning for their deceased friends.
According to police, this is the sixth incident of homicide in Hamilton in 2014.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Kim Dotcom Thinks He Will Go To Jail in New Zealand; Admits Before Bail Hearing He is 'Broke'
- Pope Francis Not Closing Doors For Talks With ISIS Despite Death Threat
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report