Windows 8.1 New Update: Security Update Patch Known Issues and How to Resolve Them
By Ryan Inoyori | August 20, 2014 9:50 AM EST
Microsoft's security update has been pulled due to three known issues affecting fonts and system stability. Users are advised to view the necessary resolution and uninstallation procedures to resolve any issues related to the update.
August 12 Windows 8.1 Patch
Microsoft posted the official details regarding the MS14-045 security update for kernel-mode drivers in August 12 2014. According to their Web site, it features up-to-date security for Web browsing for Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11.
However, it has been reported with three known issues affected all users who downloaded and installed the security update. Below are the details of issues posted by Microsoft and some ideas on how to resolve them.
1. Issue 1: Fonts that are installed in a location other than the default fonts directory cannot be changed when they are loaded into any active session. Attempts to change, replace or delete these fonts will be blocked and a "File in use" message will be presented.
2. Issue 2: Unusual behaviour of fonts which do not render correctly after any of the following updates are installed on the device:
a. 2982791 MS14-045 security update released in August 12.
b. 2970228 update to support new currency symbol for the Russian ruble in Windows.
c. 2975719 update in August 2014 for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2.
d. 2975331 update in August 2014 for Windows RT, Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
3. Issue 3: Unusual behaviour of systems to crash with "0x50" stop error message after installation of the same updates mentioned on second known issue.
Status and Troubleshooting
Resolving these known issues can be complicated to inexperienced users on exploring the Control Panel.
1. For the first issue, Microsoft supplemented five Web pages in order to resolve the problems related to the font after downloading the security updates. Users will need to review the Font Installation and Deletion, AddFontResource function, AddFontResourceEx function, RemoveFontResource function and RemoveFontResourceEx function to do it.
2. Microsoft is still investigation the second issue but users are allowed to uninstall the updates KB2982791, KB2970228, KB2975719 and KB2975331 by going to the "Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates."
3. The third issue is also under investigation and resolutions offered by Microsoft require advance steps on the Command Window and registry. Uninstallation of the updates directly will not guarantee a complete solution according to the guidelines.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- PS4 v. Xbox One: More Details For Firmware 2.0 Update, Xbox Screenshot Feature And Paid Xbox Music Emerge
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS