Windows 8.1 New Update: Security Update Patch Known Issues and How to Resolve Them
By Ryan Inoyori | August 20, 2014 9:50 AM EST
Microsoft's security update has been pulled due to three known issues affecting fonts and system stability. Users are advised to view the necessary resolution and uninstallation procedures to resolve any issues related to the update.
August 12 Windows 8.1 Patch
Microsoft posted the official details regarding the MS14-045 security update for kernel-mode drivers in August 12 2014. According to their Web site, it features up-to-date security for Web browsing for Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11.
However, it has been reported with three known issues affected all users who downloaded and installed the security update. Below are the details of issues posted by Microsoft and some ideas on how to resolve them.
1. Issue 1: Fonts that are installed in a location other than the default fonts directory cannot be changed when they are loaded into any active session. Attempts to change, replace or delete these fonts will be blocked and a "File in use" message will be presented.
2. Issue 2: Unusual behaviour of fonts which do not render correctly after any of the following updates are installed on the device:
a. 2982791 MS14-045 security update released in August 12.
b. 2970228 update to support new currency symbol for the Russian ruble in Windows.
c. 2975719 update in August 2014 for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2.
d. 2975331 update in August 2014 for Windows RT, Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
3. Issue 3: Unusual behaviour of systems to crash with "0x50" stop error message after installation of the same updates mentioned on second known issue.
Status and Troubleshooting
Resolving these known issues can be complicated to inexperienced users on exploring the Control Panel.
1. For the first issue, Microsoft supplemented five Web pages in order to resolve the problems related to the font after downloading the security updates. Users will need to review the Font Installation and Deletion, AddFontResource function, AddFontResourceEx function, RemoveFontResource function and RemoveFontResourceEx function to do it.
2. Microsoft is still investigation the second issue but users are allowed to uninstall the updates KB2982791, KB2970228, KB2975719 and KB2975331 by going to the "Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates."
3. The third issue is also under investigation and resolutions offered by Microsoft require advance steps on the Command Window and registry. Uninstallation of the updates directly will not guarantee a complete solution according to the guidelines.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible---Report
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- The Latest Nikon D750 Costs $2500, But The Full Frame Model Is Worth The Buy
- ‘Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’: Sledgehammer Games Releases Launch Trailer, Smooth Multiplayer And Dedicated Servers
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks