Pope Francis Makes Prediction About His Death: Religious Leader Says He ‘Only Has Two To Three Years Left’; 'Deeply Pained' On The Loss Of Three Relatives
By jaskiran kaur | August 20, 2014 9:50 AM EST
Pope Francis publicly talked about his death and prospective early retirement during a press conference with reporters on Alitalia flight. During the time of conference, he was reportedly returning to the Vatican City from five-day-trip to Asia. Talking playfully, the 77-year-old head of the Roman Catholic Church told the reporters that he expects to live only "two to three years more."
According to Daily Mail, Pope Francis also talked about the probability of an early retirement that he opt for if he feels he is unable to carry out his duties in an adequate manner.
"I see it as the generosity of the people of God. I try to think of my sins, my mistakes, not to become proud. Because I know it will last only a short time," Pope Francis told the reporters.
"Two or three years and then I'll be off to the Father's house," the leader of the Catholic Church added.
Pope Francis took over the papacy on March 13, 2013, after the resignation of Benedict XVI. Pope was born as Jorge Mario Bergoglio in Buenos Aires, Argentina on 17 Dec. 1936.
This is the first time the religious leader has publicly expressed his thoughts about his death. However, it is reported that a source from the Vatican revealed that Pope Francis "had previously told those close to him that he thought he only had a few years left."
As for giving up the papacy, he said it is very much possible "even if it does not appeal to some theologians." The religious leader made a rare admission about having "some nerve problems" that he feels needs medical intervention.
"Must treat them well, these nerves, give them mate [an Argentinian stimulant tea] every day," Pope Francis joked while talking to the reporters.
In other news, Pope Francis has recently suffered the loss of three relatives, who were killed in a car crash in Argentina. According to ABC, The tragic car accident led to the death of Pope's nephew Emanuel Horacio Bergoglio's two infants and wife. Emanuel was reportedly driving the car and is now in a critical condition. It is said the unfortunate accident took place "on a highway in the central province of Cordoba." The car reportedly thrashed into a truck resulting in an explosion. The report notes that Pope Francis has been informed about the tragedy and he is "deeply pained."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop