Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | August 20, 2014 9:47 AM EST
Chinese budget aircraft carrier Spring Airlines has been slapped with a lawsuit by two men and a woman after the airline rejected them because they were HIV positive.
A man walks past a poster at a conceptual art exhibition about HIV/AIDS. R
The three passengers, where only two were actually HIV positive, accused the airline of discrimination.
The three were to travel from Shenyang in the northeast to Shijiazhuang, south of Beijing. But they were barred from boarding the flight on July 28.
"After we got our boarding passes, we informed a Spring Airlines official that some of us had HIV," the Fazhi Evening Paper quoted one of the three passengers. "The official immediately rang up the Shanghai head office for instructions, and then told us the company has rules forbidding the transportation of passengers with HIV."
Their tickets were immediately cancelled, forcing them to take a train to get to their destination.
Airlines, by Chinese law, have a right to deny entry to passengers carrying "infectious" diseases.
But Liu Wei, the plaintiffs' lawyer, argued there was no evidence gathered by the airlines that showed the three passengers could infect anyone else in that certain flight.
The Global Times reported the Shenyang court had accepted the case. It is now considered the first lawsuit in China against an airline for discriminating against an HIV-positive person.
"The court's acceptance of this case signalled that HIV carriers can protect their rights through legal channels," Global Times quoted plaintiff Cheng Shuaishuai.
The three passengers are seeking compensation of 48,999 yuan (AUD8,549.05) as well as an open apology.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS