Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | August 20, 2014 9:47 AM EST
Chinese budget aircraft carrier Spring Airlines has been slapped with a lawsuit by two men and a woman after the airline rejected them because they were HIV positive.
A man walks past a poster at a conceptual art exhibition about HIV/AIDS. R
The three passengers, where only two were actually HIV positive, accused the airline of discrimination.
The three were to travel from Shenyang in the northeast to Shijiazhuang, south of Beijing. But they were barred from boarding the flight on July 28.
"After we got our boarding passes, we informed a Spring Airlines official that some of us had HIV," the Fazhi Evening Paper quoted one of the three passengers. "The official immediately rang up the Shanghai head office for instructions, and then told us the company has rules forbidding the transportation of passengers with HIV."
Their tickets were immediately cancelled, forcing them to take a train to get to their destination.
Airlines, by Chinese law, have a right to deny entry to passengers carrying "infectious" diseases.
But Liu Wei, the plaintiffs' lawyer, argued there was no evidence gathered by the airlines that showed the three passengers could infect anyone else in that certain flight.
The Global Times reported the Shenyang court had accepted the case. It is now considered the first lawsuit in China against an airline for discriminating against an HIV-positive person.
"The court's acceptance of this case signalled that HIV carriers can protect their rights through legal channels," Global Times quoted plaintiff Cheng Shuaishuai.
The three passengers are seeking compensation of 48,999 yuan (AUD8,549.05) as well as an open apology.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier