Melbourne Is World’s Most Liveable City for 4th Consecutive Year
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 20, 2014 9:38 AM EST
Another study confirmed Australia's high-quality of life after the city of Melbourne was named on Tuesday by the Economic Intelligence Unit's yearly Liveability Survey as the most liveable city in the world. It is the fourth consecutive year that Melbourne was recognised as the best city in the world where to live.
The list has actually not changed much over the years, especially those in the top 10, since 2011. Of the 140 cities covered, only 20 changed their ranking the past year.
Commenting on receiving the recognition again, Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said, "To be named the world's liveable city for four consecutive years is a great honour and a testament to the enviable lifestyle that Melbourne offers."
The Australian city scored a total of 97.5 points because of its superior score when it came to healthcare infrastructure, education and low murder rate. Other important criteria include stability and culture and environment.
Australia dominated the top 10 with four cities, followed by Canada with three cities.
The Austrian capital city of Vienna came in second, having almost identical score with Melbourne in the criteria, save for culture and environment.
Most of the cities that had changes in ranking were those that suffered from lower scores due to geopolitical events such as Kiev, Moscow and St Petersburg and even local events such as Bangkok.
From the Middle East, Syria's Damascus continued to suffer a dip, but Iran's Tehran, Libya's Tripoli and Jordan's Amman had better scores because of periods of relative stability. One sad fact that the report, used as basis in determining the hardship allowance of expatriates, noted is the general level of liveability on a global basis, declines.
The top 10 most liveable cities are:
1. Melbourne, Australia
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Vancouver, Canada
4. Toronto, Canada
5. Adelaide, Australia (tied)
6. Calgary, Canada (tied)
7. Sydney, Australia
8. Helsinki, Finland
9. Perth, Australia
10. Auckland, New Zealand.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- FIFA May Keep Russia and Ukraine Apart in World Cup 2018
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown