Melbourne Is World’s Most Liveable City for 4th Consecutive Year
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 20, 2014 9:38 AM EST
Another study confirmed Australia's high-quality of life after the city of Melbourne was named on Tuesday by the Economic Intelligence Unit's yearly Liveability Survey as the most liveable city in the world. It is the fourth consecutive year that Melbourne was recognised as the best city in the world where to live.
The list has actually not changed much over the years, especially those in the top 10, since 2011. Of the 140 cities covered, only 20 changed their ranking the past year.
Commenting on receiving the recognition again, Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said, "To be named the world's liveable city for four consecutive years is a great honour and a testament to the enviable lifestyle that Melbourne offers."
The Australian city scored a total of 97.5 points because of its superior score when it came to healthcare infrastructure, education and low murder rate. Other important criteria include stability and culture and environment.
Australia dominated the top 10 with four cities, followed by Canada with three cities.
The Austrian capital city of Vienna came in second, having almost identical score with Melbourne in the criteria, save for culture and environment.
Most of the cities that had changes in ranking were those that suffered from lower scores due to geopolitical events such as Kiev, Moscow and St Petersburg and even local events such as Bangkok.
From the Middle East, Syria's Damascus continued to suffer a dip, but Iran's Tehran, Libya's Tripoli and Jordan's Amman had better scores because of periods of relative stability. One sad fact that the report, used as basis in determining the hardship allowance of expatriates, noted is the general level of liveability on a global basis, declines.
The top 10 most liveable cities are:
1. Melbourne, Australia
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Vancouver, Canada
4. Toronto, Canada
5. Adelaide, Australia (tied)
6. Calgary, Canada (tied)
7. Sydney, Australia
8. Helsinki, Finland
9. Perth, Australia
10. Auckland, New Zealand.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- While Asian Property Markets Are Cooling, 92% Of Philippine Real Estate Agents & Brokers Are Positive About Next 12 Months
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday November 28, 2014
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report