Melbourne Is World’s Most Liveable City for 4th Consecutive Year
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 20, 2014 9:38 AM EST
Another study confirmed Australia's high-quality of life after the city of Melbourne was named on Tuesday by the Economic Intelligence Unit's yearly Liveability Survey as the most liveable city in the world. It is the fourth consecutive year that Melbourne was recognised as the best city in the world where to live.
The list has actually not changed much over the years, especially those in the top 10, since 2011. Of the 140 cities covered, only 20 changed their ranking the past year.
Commenting on receiving the recognition again, Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said, "To be named the world's liveable city for four consecutive years is a great honour and a testament to the enviable lifestyle that Melbourne offers."
The Australian city scored a total of 97.5 points because of its superior score when it came to healthcare infrastructure, education and low murder rate. Other important criteria include stability and culture and environment.
Australia dominated the top 10 with four cities, followed by Canada with three cities.
The Austrian capital city of Vienna came in second, having almost identical score with Melbourne in the criteria, save for culture and environment.
Most of the cities that had changes in ranking were those that suffered from lower scores due to geopolitical events such as Kiev, Moscow and St Petersburg and even local events such as Bangkok.
From the Middle East, Syria's Damascus continued to suffer a dip, but Iran's Tehran, Libya's Tripoli and Jordan's Amman had better scores because of periods of relative stability. One sad fact that the report, used as basis in determining the hardship allowance of expatriates, noted is the general level of liveability on a global basis, declines.
The top 10 most liveable cities are:
1. Melbourne, Australia
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Vancouver, Canada
4. Toronto, Canada
5. Adelaide, Australia (tied)
6. Calgary, Canada (tied)
7. Sydney, Australia
8. Helsinki, Finland
9. Perth, Australia
10. Auckland, New Zealand.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 30, 2014
- Environment Ministry OKs $2.2B North Galilee Basin Rail Project On 23 Conditions
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 30, 2014
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate