Melbourne Is World’s Most Liveable City for 4th Consecutive Year
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 20, 2014 9:38 AM EST
Another study confirmed Australia's high-quality of life after the city of Melbourne was named on Tuesday by the Economic Intelligence Unit's yearly Liveability Survey as the most liveable city in the world. It is the fourth consecutive year that Melbourne was recognised as the best city in the world where to live.
The list has actually not changed much over the years, especially those in the top 10, since 2011. Of the 140 cities covered, only 20 changed their ranking the past year.
Commenting on receiving the recognition again, Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said, "To be named the world's liveable city for four consecutive years is a great honour and a testament to the enviable lifestyle that Melbourne offers."
The Australian city scored a total of 97.5 points because of its superior score when it came to healthcare infrastructure, education and low murder rate. Other important criteria include stability and culture and environment.
Australia dominated the top 10 with four cities, followed by Canada with three cities.
The Austrian capital city of Vienna came in second, having almost identical score with Melbourne in the criteria, save for culture and environment.
Most of the cities that had changes in ranking were those that suffered from lower scores due to geopolitical events such as Kiev, Moscow and St Petersburg and even local events such as Bangkok.
From the Middle East, Syria's Damascus continued to suffer a dip, but Iran's Tehran, Libya's Tripoli and Jordan's Amman had better scores because of periods of relative stability. One sad fact that the report, used as basis in determining the hardship allowance of expatriates, noted is the general level of liveability on a global basis, declines.
The top 10 most liveable cities are:
1. Melbourne, Australia
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Vancouver, Canada
4. Toronto, Canada
5. Adelaide, Australia (tied)
6. Calgary, Canada (tied)
7. Sydney, Australia
8. Helsinki, Finland
9. Perth, Australia
10. Auckland, New Zealand.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 19, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 19, 2014
- Global Markets Overview – September 19, 2014
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1