Apple Inc. Stock Surge Observed as Hedge Funds 'Feasted' Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch
By Reissa Su | August 20, 2014 8:36 AM EST
The impending release of the iPhone 6 has caused the popularity of Apple's stock to surge as closely watched hedge funds managers "feasted" on the stock. According to Forbes, analysts had observed an increase in the demand for Apple stock.
The Apple logo is pictured at a retail store in the Marina neighborhood in San Francisco, California April 23, 2014.
Phillip Laffont's Coatue Management hedge fund previously held a smaller stake in Apple but it increased to 10.1 million shares sometime in April. The increase has made Apple stock the biggest in Coatue's portfolio based on a recent Securities and Exchange Commission filing.
Billionaire Robert Cittrone's Discovery Capital Management has also recently bought 6.6 million Apple shares in the second quarter. Reports said Apple had become his biggest stock portfolio.
The mandatory disclosure of stock portfolio holdings has allowed analysts to compare how portfolios have changed compared to the last filing. According to reports, Apple shares rose by 21 per cent between the end of March and the end of June.
Forbes reported that other popular hedge fund managers like Omega Advisors have increased their stake in Apple as well.
RBC Capital Markets analysts have remained bullish on Apple ahead of its iPhone 6 September 9 launch. Shares continue to climb upward as analysts remain optimistic of the company's future because of the heavily anticipated release of the iPhone 6.
RBC analyst Amit Daryanani has estimated Apple Inc to sell 56 million iPhones in the December quarter but the amount is a conservative number since he suggested that a successful launch could result in a shipment of 70 million iPhone units.
However, the analyst said his conservative estimate is reportedly based on data from Apple's suppliers. He believes the iPhone 6 will come in two sizes, 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. Apple had allegedly instructed its suppliers to make 60 million units by the end of the year.
He also predicted the company to sell 10 million iPhone 6 units during the weekend launch. The figure is expected to hit 15 million after the September quarter.
With several concept designs and rumours about the iPhone 6 making the rounds in the Internet, Apple fans and investors are expected to closely watch the unfolding of events on Sept. 9.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’