Apple Inc. Stock Surge Observed as Hedge Funds 'Feasted' Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch
By Reissa Su | August 20, 2014 8:36 AM EST
The impending release of the iPhone 6 has caused the popularity of Apple's stock to surge as closely watched hedge funds managers "feasted" on the stock. According to Forbes, analysts had observed an increase in the demand for Apple stock.
The Apple logo is pictured at a retail store in the Marina neighborhood in San Francisco, California April 23, 2014.
Phillip Laffont's Coatue Management hedge fund previously held a smaller stake in Apple but it increased to 10.1 million shares sometime in April. The increase has made Apple stock the biggest in Coatue's portfolio based on a recent Securities and Exchange Commission filing.
Billionaire Robert Cittrone's Discovery Capital Management has also recently bought 6.6 million Apple shares in the second quarter. Reports said Apple had become his biggest stock portfolio.
The mandatory disclosure of stock portfolio holdings has allowed analysts to compare how portfolios have changed compared to the last filing. According to reports, Apple shares rose by 21 per cent between the end of March and the end of June.
Forbes reported that other popular hedge fund managers like Omega Advisors have increased their stake in Apple as well.
RBC Capital Markets analysts have remained bullish on Apple ahead of its iPhone 6 September 9 launch. Shares continue to climb upward as analysts remain optimistic of the company's future because of the heavily anticipated release of the iPhone 6.
RBC analyst Amit Daryanani has estimated Apple Inc to sell 56 million iPhones in the December quarter but the amount is a conservative number since he suggested that a successful launch could result in a shipment of 70 million iPhone units.
However, the analyst said his conservative estimate is reportedly based on data from Apple's suppliers. He believes the iPhone 6 will come in two sizes, 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. Apple had allegedly instructed its suppliers to make 60 million units by the end of the year.
He also predicted the company to sell 10 million iPhone 6 units during the weekend launch. The figure is expected to hit 15 million after the September quarter.
With several concept designs and rumours about the iPhone 6 making the rounds in the Internet, Apple fans and investors are expected to closely watch the unfolding of events on Sept. 9.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet