Transfer News: Manchester United Lands Argentina's Marcos Rojo for for £16M, Nani to Sporting CP
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 20, 2014 8:22 AM EST
Louis van Gaal will complete his first own signing for Manchester United after finalizing the deal that will bring Argentinean defender Marcos Rojo to the Premiere League on Tuesday. Barring any hitches on the medical and other requirements, the transfer will be complete with a reported contract worth around £16 million (roughly AU$ 28.70M) for five years.
Liverpool keen on bringing in Argentinean Marcos Rojo in lieu of Alberto Moreno
No less than the official website of the club confirmed the report although no official salary figure has been mentioned in the statement.
“Manchester United is delighted to announce it has reached an agreement with Sporting Lisbon to sign defender Marcos Rojo, subject to a medical and agreeing personal terms,” A post from the Man U website said. “A further announcement will be made when the process is complete.”
Marcos Rojo already showed indications of the potential move to the Red Devils earlier in the transfer season and the transfer process was not without any controversy; last Thursday, Rojo refused to train with his Portugal club, Sporting CP with hopes that the squad finally approves his release.
Rojo now gets what he wanted and will join the Old Trafford team he describes as a dream destination.
Marcos Rojo suited up for Estudiantes in Argentina from 2008 to 20011; Spartak Moscow in Russia from 2011 to 2012; and for Sporting CP from 2012-2014. He is also part of the Argentine soccer national team since 2011 with 29 international caps and 1 international goal.
Rojo played for six games in Argentina’s successful campaign at the recent 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Argentina lost to Brazil in the World Cup final and the 24-year-old was one of the key players for his squad. Rojo scored his first international goal in his career in their 3-2 win over Nigeria in the group stages.
Previous Manchester United signee Luke Shaw will be out for about a month and Marcos Rojo is expected to play and fit in immediately with Van Gaal’s 3-5-2. Meanwhile in related news, winger Nani will be sent to the Portuguese side as part of the deal.
For more Manchester United news and update, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan