Transfer News: Manchester United Lands Argentina's Marcos Rojo for for £16M, Nani to Sporting CP
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 20, 2014 8:22 AM EST
Louis van Gaal will complete his first own signing for Manchester United after finalizing the deal that will bring Argentinean defender Marcos Rojo to the Premiere League on Tuesday. Barring any hitches on the medical and other requirements, the transfer will be complete with a reported contract worth around £16 million (roughly AU$ 28.70M) for five years.
Liverpool keen on bringing in Argentinean Marcos Rojo in lieu of Alberto Moreno
No less than the official website of the club confirmed the report although no official salary figure has been mentioned in the statement.
“Manchester United is delighted to announce it has reached an agreement with Sporting Lisbon to sign defender Marcos Rojo, subject to a medical and agreeing personal terms,” A post from the Man U website said. “A further announcement will be made when the process is complete.”
Marcos Rojo already showed indications of the potential move to the Red Devils earlier in the transfer season and the transfer process was not without any controversy; last Thursday, Rojo refused to train with his Portugal club, Sporting CP with hopes that the squad finally approves his release.
Rojo now gets what he wanted and will join the Old Trafford team he describes as a dream destination.
Marcos Rojo suited up for Estudiantes in Argentina from 2008 to 20011; Spartak Moscow in Russia from 2011 to 2012; and for Sporting CP from 2012-2014. He is also part of the Argentine soccer national team since 2011 with 29 international caps and 1 international goal.
Rojo played for six games in Argentina’s successful campaign at the recent 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Argentina lost to Brazil in the World Cup final and the 24-year-old was one of the key players for his squad. Rojo scored his first international goal in his career in their 3-2 win over Nigeria in the group stages.
Previous Manchester United signee Luke Shaw will be out for about a month and Marcos Rojo is expected to play and fit in immediately with Van Gaal’s 3-5-2. Meanwhile in related news, winger Nani will be sent to the Portuguese side as part of the deal.
For more Manchester United news and update, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best