Transfer News: Manchester United Lands Argentina's Marcos Rojo for for £16M, Nani to Sporting CP
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 20, 2014 8:22 AM EST
Louis van Gaal will complete his first own signing for Manchester United after finalizing the deal that will bring Argentinean defender Marcos Rojo to the Premiere League on Tuesday. Barring any hitches on the medical and other requirements, the transfer will be complete with a reported contract worth around £16 million (roughly AU$ 28.70M) for five years.
Liverpool keen on bringing in Argentinean Marcos Rojo in lieu of Alberto Moreno
No less than the official website of the club confirmed the report although no official salary figure has been mentioned in the statement.
“Manchester United is delighted to announce it has reached an agreement with Sporting Lisbon to sign defender Marcos Rojo, subject to a medical and agreeing personal terms,” A post from the Man U website said. “A further announcement will be made when the process is complete.”
Marcos Rojo already showed indications of the potential move to the Red Devils earlier in the transfer season and the transfer process was not without any controversy; last Thursday, Rojo refused to train with his Portugal club, Sporting CP with hopes that the squad finally approves his release.
Rojo now gets what he wanted and will join the Old Trafford team he describes as a dream destination.
Marcos Rojo suited up for Estudiantes in Argentina from 2008 to 20011; Spartak Moscow in Russia from 2011 to 2012; and for Sporting CP from 2012-2014. He is also part of the Argentine soccer national team since 2011 with 29 international caps and 1 international goal.
Rojo played for six games in Argentina’s successful campaign at the recent 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Argentina lost to Brazil in the World Cup final and the 24-year-old was one of the key players for his squad. Rojo scored his first international goal in his career in their 3-2 win over Nigeria in the group stages.
Previous Manchester United signee Luke Shaw will be out for about a month and Marcos Rojo is expected to play and fit in immediately with Van Gaal’s 3-5-2. Meanwhile in related news, winger Nani will be sent to the Portuguese side as part of the deal.
For more Manchester United news and update, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims