Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon August 19, 2014
By Steven Daghlian, CommSec Market Analyst | August 19, 2014 6:41 PM EST
Shares hit fresh 6-year highs for third day
The winning streak continued with shares hitting fresh six-year highs, rising for a third day and remaining above the key 5600pt level. The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) improved by a modest 0.1 per cent despite mixed performances from global markets overnight. The US economy expanded at a faster than expected 4 per cent annual pace in the June quarter, while comments by the US central bank relating to inflation has increased the market's expectations of an earlier rate rise. The default of Argentina's economy, while worrisome didn't have a significant impact on global sharemarkets today.
Screens display the share price for Trupanion following the company's IPO on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange July 18, 2014. Shares of Trupanion Inc. rose as much as 15 percent in their market debut, reflecting strong demand among U.S. pet owners to insure their cats and dogs against the high cost of veterinary care. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid (UNITED STATES - Tags: BUSINESS)
Weakness from the energy sector, the miners, industrials and utilities held the market back today.
Mining stocks were the biggest drag, with less than impressive quarterly reports from a number of companies in the sector not helping. Rare earth minerals company, Lynas (LYC) fell by 17 per cent after it disappointed investors with continued cashflow problems. LYC is down 42 per cent this calendar year.
$170 million renewable energy business, Infigen Energy (IFN) finished flat after delivering a 1 per cent rise in production but a 3 per cent slide in revenue over the past three months.
Australia's biggest iron ore producer and one of the world's largest miners Rio Tinto (RIO) rose by close to 0.5 per centand announced the offloading of its underperforming Mozambique coal assets for a discounted $50 million.
Oil and gas company Woodside Petroleum (WPL) fell 0.84 per cent ahead of a vote tomorrow on its planned $2.7bn buyback from Shell. The vote is expected to go down to the wire.
The telcos ended higher, with the country's sixth biggest firm Telstra (TLS) hitting a 13-year high intra-day. TLS will trade ex-dividend on 27 August. TLS is up 10 per cent from the lows hit in March this year. Consistent earnings and a healthy dividend yield have made the telco attractive to investors in recent years. TLS is improving for the fourth straight year.
2.3bn shares were traded today, worth $4.79bn. 511 stocks ended higher, 472 finished lower and 378 were unchanged.
On the economic front, lending lifted to a five year high, the volatile building approvals read was down 5 per cent this month and import prices fell 3 per cent. Tonight, a report on Europe's unemployment rate will be released while weekly jobless claims will be a highlight in the U.S. Last week's reading on unemployment benefits was the best in eight years.
Chinese data tomorrow and US non-farm payrolls will be in focus.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 18, 2014
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best