'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 21 Returning Coach-Judge, Jay Alexander Talks Difficulty With Male Model Contestants
By Annie Dee | August 19, 2014 5:02 PM EST
Jay Alexander returns on Cycle 21 of "America's Next Top Model" after being gone for two whole cycles. Even though the "runway coach extraordinaire" thinks nothing changed in his relationship with the show and its producers, the show's current twist of adding male model contestants spiced his job up a bit. Her admits coaching guys is different from coaching girls. Moreover, even though the competition is hardly boys versus girls because only one model will win the title, the returning judge and coach clamims that the dynamics in the competition certainly changed because of this twist.
Model and talk show host Tyra Banks arrives at the BET Awards '09 in Los Angeles June 28, 2009.
"Miss J," as Jay Alexander is fondly called throughout the cycles of the show, claimed that adding males into the mix of model competitors certainly made his work and the show a little more interesting, particularly because of the drama that resulted from the new dynamics.
"First of all, it created tension between the males and females. You know, two girls like the same guy; two guys like the same girl. They have to realize they are there to work, not for showmances. But if you're competing with a girl but also chasing the girl, it makes it really, really difficult to focus [on the challenges]. ... You have to focus. It's really important; a modeling career right now is not what it used to be. Today, models [have] branding [advisers], managers, lawyers, assistants, assistants of assistants. It's not just going to shows, having your hair and makeup done, and going home. They are brands unto themselves, and America's Next Top Model has given hundreds if not thousands of girls around the world the opportunity to brand themselves and show how they can be strong role models and strong businesswoman with all the information given to them in a short time," shared the renowned judge and coach to Hollywood Reporter.
It was not that easy for him to coach girls. But boys adds a different plane of difficulty for him. Not that he could not do it, he shared. He also thinks boys have to work differently from the girls if they want the title. In fact, he has ample tips for the males.
"It's frustrating to me when a girl doesn't get it, but it's difficult when a guy doesn't get it. Girls have more to work with; they can move their hips, put their arms on their hips, move certain ways. And guys can't. It's a challenge for me to get them to relax. "You can use your pocket, but don't let that be the thing you do all the time." [Also I tell the guys], "Don't let your body get too big." Guys get too big, when they are working out, for the clothes. If they're doing swimwear or sportswear, they can do a few extra pushups before the photo shoot. But a suit doesn't look great on a body all full of muscles busting out the suit jacket. But with the girls I get frustrated because of all the other tools they can use [if they aren't using them]," shared Jay Alexander to Hollywood Reporter.
Miss J, Nigel Barker and Jay Manuel were all axed following Cycle 18 of the show. At that time, Miss J seems to have graciously accepted the decision and was even funny about it. He told Us Magazine.com, "After 18 cycles, I found myself in the bottom three and Tyra pulled a surprise triple elimination." (Ha!) "I didn't even get to runway for my life!"
It's good to know he's back.
America's Next Top Model, cycle 21, premieres Monday, August 18 at 8pm on CW55.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu