Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 19, 2014 4:31 PM EST
Despite having finished behind Sebastian Vettel on three Formula One (F1) Championships in 2010, 2012, and 2013, Fernando Alonso has described Michael Schumacher as the strongest opponent he has ever faced in F1.
Ferrari Formula One driver Fernando Alonso of Spain waves as he arrives at the third practice session of the Monaco Grand Prix in Monaco May 24, 2014. REUTERS/Robert Pratta
Scuderia Ferrari bridges the summer break ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix and the Italian Grand Prix, which begin on Aug. 24 and Sept. 7, respectively, with a short video Alonso discussing the racers he had battled in the past. In the said interview with the Italian racing team's official website, Alonso looked back at his opponents in F1.
Alonso recalled the great names in the history of F1 and revealed that he admired and respected Niki Lauda, Ayrton Senna, and Alain Prost while growing up as a kid. When asked who he think was his "strongest opponent" outside of his own racing team, Alonso said that the seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher was the toughest rival he has ever faced in F1.
"The strongest in Formula 1 was Michael," Alonso said. According to Alonso, Schumacher was racing "on another level" during the time when he ruled the F1 championships from 2000 until 2004.
"With him, it was never easy." Alonso also shared his thoughts when he finally got the chance to ride against Schumacher on the same level. "He was able to do something special, something more than you were expecting, or maybe more than the car was capable of."
The former Renault driver snatched the trophy from Schumacher in 2005 and 2006.
Meanwhile, it has been silent on the subject of the current health condition of Schumacher. No news updates have been shared to the general public since it was announced that Schumacher has woken up from coma and has been going through rehabilitation treatment at a medical facility in Lausanne, Switzerland to continue his recuperation after a skiing accident and suffered serious brain trauma when his head struck a rock in the French Alps in December.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports