Boxing News 2014: Kell Brook Wants to Settle Rivalry with Khan First Before Taking on Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather Jr.
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 19, 2014 3:13 PM EST
After a big victory, Kell Brook is looking to fight the big names next. The British boxer defeated American Shaw Porter (24-0-1) last Sunday to claim the International Boxing Federation (IBF) welterweight title in a closely contested bout with scores of 116-112, 117-111 and 114-114 for Brook.
With the majority decision victory, Brook kept a perfect record in 33 bouts, 22 of which came by way of knockout. There was no KO or even a knockdown in the Porter fight but Brook did enough to get the attention of the other names in his division particularly the no. 1 and no. 2 boxers in that list: Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao.
Eddie Hearn, the promoter for Brook, did not waste time in introducing his ward to the top contenders.
"We'll be doing a lot of planning over the next couple of weeks. We'll look for that big fight next year- maybe with Khan or maybe with Pacquiao or Mayweather,” Hearn said via Sky Sports.
"He's just put himself up there with the very biggest names in the division. I think we'll go and defend the title back home in November or December,” Heard said after the win. “Then I suppose we better give the British public the fight that everybody wants, and that's the Amir Khan fight.”
While Hearn was targeting the big names already, he admitted that the public may be wanting for a British versus British superfight between Brook and Amir Khan. Brook, who goes by the nickname Special K, is also open to the idea of fighting his compatriot and wants to settle that rivalry first before moving on to the bigger names.
"The fact is he is going to get it. I know he's back there in the studio watching: listen, you're getting it next boy. I am the champion of the world," the 28-year-old Brook fired the challenge at Khan.
Mayweather will be facing Marcos Maidana in a rematch on Sept. 13, Pacquiao will take on Chris Algieri on Nov. 22 while Khan has yet to set-up his next fight.
Before the MD victory over Porter, Brook was more than impressive stringing three technical knockout (TKO) over Hector Saldivia, Carson Jones, Vyacheslav Senchenko and Alvaro Robles.
Brook turned pro in September 2004 and by 2008 he was the British welterweight champion. He started to make waves internationally by winning the World Boxing Organization (WBO) inter-continental crown in March 2010 and the World Boxing Association (WBA) title in June 2011. Brook was also the IBF international welterweight and world welterweight titles in 2012.
For more Manny Pacquiao news and update, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border