BITRE Names Airline With Most On Time Departures
By Athena Yenko | August 19, 2014 2:21 PM EST
The Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics (BITRE) ranks airlines according to level of on time departures based on data compiled from 2013 to 2014.
Qantas emerged as the most punctual of all the major domestic airlines, both on most on time departure at 87.5 percent and most on time arrival at 86.4 percent.
Virgin Australia comes next at 83.8 percent (on time departure) and 81.7 percent (on time arrival), followed by Jetstar at 78.8 percent and 79.5 percent and Tigerair at 75.1 percent and 71.1 percent.
For those travellers always on a hurry, it will be best to note that Alice Springs Airport recorded the lowest percentage of on time departures (67.8 percent) and Port Macquarie Airport recorded the lowest percentage of on time arrivals (72.0 percent). On the other hand, Newman Airport recorded the highest percentage of on time departures (92.3 percent) and Port Hedland Airport recorded the highest percentage of on time arrivals (95.1 percent).
The most advisable route to take is the Perth-Port Hedland route which had the highest percentage of on time departures (94.7 percent) and the highest percentage of on time arrivals (95.1 percent). Meanwhile, the Alice Springs-Melbourne route had the lowest percentage of on time departures (66.3 percent) and the Port Macquarie-Sydney route had the lowest percentage of on time arrivals (63.8 percent).
"We celebrate results like this not because it looks great on paper and we're ticking boxes but because it means we're delivering a premium reliable service for our customers," Qantas domestic chief executive officer Lyell Strambi said.
Tigerair Head of Communications Vanessa Regan, on the other hand, explained the airline's delays were affected by factors that cannot be controlled, like weather and infrastructure limitations at key ports.
"We continue to work with our airport partners in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney to limit tarmac congestion and infrastructure related delays," Regan said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed