BITRE Names Airline With Most On Time Departures
By Athena Yenko | August 19, 2014 2:21 PM EST
The Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics (BITRE) ranks airlines according to level of on time departures based on data compiled from 2013 to 2014.
Qantas emerged as the most punctual of all the major domestic airlines, both on most on time departure at 87.5 percent and most on time arrival at 86.4 percent.
Virgin Australia comes next at 83.8 percent (on time departure) and 81.7 percent (on time arrival), followed by Jetstar at 78.8 percent and 79.5 percent and Tigerair at 75.1 percent and 71.1 percent.
For those travellers always on a hurry, it will be best to note that Alice Springs Airport recorded the lowest percentage of on time departures (67.8 percent) and Port Macquarie Airport recorded the lowest percentage of on time arrivals (72.0 percent). On the other hand, Newman Airport recorded the highest percentage of on time departures (92.3 percent) and Port Hedland Airport recorded the highest percentage of on time arrivals (95.1 percent).
The most advisable route to take is the Perth-Port Hedland route which had the highest percentage of on time departures (94.7 percent) and the highest percentage of on time arrivals (95.1 percent). Meanwhile, the Alice Springs-Melbourne route had the lowest percentage of on time departures (66.3 percent) and the Port Macquarie-Sydney route had the lowest percentage of on time arrivals (63.8 percent).
"We celebrate results like this not because it looks great on paper and we're ticking boxes but because it means we're delivering a premium reliable service for our customers," Qantas domestic chief executive officer Lyell Strambi said.
Tigerair Head of Communications Vanessa Regan, on the other hand, explained the airline's delays were affected by factors that cannot be controlled, like weather and infrastructure limitations at key ports.
"We continue to work with our airport partners in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney to limit tarmac congestion and infrastructure related delays," Regan said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage