Penrith Panthers’ James Segeyaro Is Looking At Season Ending Injury
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 19, 2014 1:47 PM EST
After being initially diagnosed to only miss one to a few games, hooker James Segeyaro is possibly facing an ankle injury that will force him to miss the remainder of the National Rugby League season.
The Papua New Guinea native is the latest casualty to the late season misfortunes of Penrith as he had to leave the 23-22 triumph over the Cowboys on Monday night. The injury occurred when his foot was caught in an uneasy position after trying to offload during the 68th minute of the match. He fell down as he was tackled by Ashton Sims. He tried to play through the injury but had to be substituted as he was visibly limping.
According to NRL.com, Panthers coach Ivan Cleary is optimistic that his ward will not be sidelined for long but is being realistic of the possibility of losing him for the season. The 23-year-old hooker will be undergoing scans to ascertain the depth of the damage to the ankle on Tuesday.
"[We're] not too sure. He broke an ankle quite badly a couple of years ago with the Cowboys. It might have something to do with that. Hopefully it's not too bad. But we're not going to know until tomorrow," Cleary said post-game.
His mentor is also weary that the injury is a recurrence of the same ankle he broke during his earlier days in Townsville. The Panthers are already currently missing the services of several players such as Peter Wallace, Tyrone Peachey, Elijah Taylor, Bryce Cartwright, and Isaac John who are all projected to return by 2015. In the event that the injury is severe, Cleary will rely on back-up Kevin Kingston to man the slot.
Segeyaro's injury comes at the most unfortunate time as the win over the Cowboys puts the squad at third place and guarantees them a spot in the finals. The squad will host Melbourne next on Monday in an important match that will determine the final cast of the top eight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners