‘Siri for Mac' Will Arrive Soon as Apple Gears up for New Computers, Mac is Apple’s Future
By Precious Silva | August 19, 2014 1:10 PM EST
Apple's Siri has been a standard feature on the iOS starting 2011. Nonetheless, the tech giant has not offered it under OS X. This is why the recent patent sighting has been gaining attention because it promises to bring the virtual assistant to Mac users. To support Apple's focus on the Mac, recent analysis of the company's future suggests that the tech giant's future will depend on its computer business. It will not bow out any time soon as most people think.
A worker climbs outside an Apple store in Hong Kong April 10, 2013.
According to the new patent reported by AppleInsider, the Siri patent for Mac goes by the title "Intelligent digital assistant in a desktop environment." The 92-page patent shows a technology offering more features than the standard voice dictation component of Mac. Similar to the existing version of Siri on the iOS, the desktop Siri will also have natural text and speech input. It will be able to accomplish a number of tasks like data retrieval, task completion and data input. It can also do searches and other similar functions.
The patent also describes a similar backend to the iOS Siri. More importantly, Apple saw to it that the user-facing Siri component can serve as a standalone app. Users can access it via keyboard gesture or special mouse.
In a recent report by Busines Insider, the question whether Apple and iOS will lose out to Android eventually for its lower-priced gadgets has been raised. According to the report, it is not just about the tablet and smartphone business of Apple that will keep the company afloat. Its Mac business has been lucrative for years outperforming majority of competitors and expectations. While it may have slow growth, it has a steady performance that continues to draw sales and profits. This is amidst the cheaper units out on the market. While predictions from sources like Blodget and Edwards expects Apple's computer business to be dead or to turn into more affordable units, it may not be the case.
According to ex-Apple executive Jean-Louis Gassee: "Naysayers will continue to contend that the prices of competing tablets are preordained to crash and will bring ruin to Apple's Affordable Luxury product strategy ... just as they predicted netbooks would inflict damage on MacBooks."
Recent stats show that shipment for Apple Macs posted 18% year-over-year. IDC reported that PC global shipments declined by 1.7%.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111SELECT latest_id FROM site_artdata WHERE type='ib_articles_day2ago' Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111SELECT tid as num FROM biztimes_stats.stats_articles_au_pop WHERE maincat_id='6' AND outkey='Y' AND tid> ORDER BY hits DESC LIMIT 15Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111SELECT article_id as num FROM ib_categories_index WHERE tid=6 ORDER BY article_id DESC LIMIT 5
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine