Real Life Mermaid Swims in Paris: Viewers Amazed (Watch Video)
By Sarah Thomas | August 19, 2014 1:07 PM EST
The Aquarium of Paris came up with an innovative idea to get children to learn and preserve the environment. A project has been launched at the main aquarium in the capital city of France, wherein children and adults alike can get a close look at a living mermaid that swims right before their eyes.
A woman dressed as a mermaid swims in a tank during “Spirits of Tampa,” an event held for participants of the Republican National Convention at the Florida Aquarium. [REUTERS/Eric Thayer, August 27, 2012]
This is not a real mermaid though. A science student donned in a full mermaid attire dives into the water along with eagle rays and groupers.
Parisians are flocking to the museum to have an up close look at the mermaid in the show.
Claire Baudet known as "Claire la Sirene" dives down to swim along with the tropical fish leaving children and adults amazed. A soothing music is played in the background to enhance the experience. Since the show requires Baudet to stay under water for a long period, she has undergone training to hold her breath. Claire Baudet is given the title of a "professional mermaid."
"I love everything fantastical and magical, and all the creatures that come from the imagination," said Baudet, a student of "Information and Communication," at the University of Sorbonne Nouvelle.
Baudet has lived by the sea all her life and loves the water. For the show，she trained to hold her breath for a long time.
The assistant director of the Paris Aquarium, Mathieu Pitou said that it is an educational approach to learning and having fun. Both children as well as adults are surprised by the experience. Everything associated with these mystical underwater creatures were combined to make this unusual experience all the more exciting. "There's also a message behind it, a message about protecting the ocean's wildlife," he added
They sought to educate the viewers about preserving the ocean. The marine life is under great threat and awareness regarding the issue is extremely essential. The aquarium took up this grave matter and portrayed it in a friendly, entertaining and unusual manner. The officials at the aquarium also pointed that, though it is an amusing act that is grabbing everyone's attention, there is deeper and a much more important message to it.
The magical performance has left the masses amazed and impressed. The visitors, both young and old thoroughly enjoyed the mermaid act.
Claire Baudet will be performing in Paris until August 22. Huge crowds are expected in the coming days.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Mysterious Fireball Spotted Over The Rockies Was A Russian Spy Satellite, Experts Say
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed